Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 02-19-2008, 10:59 PM

Default simultaneously move takes in playlists?

is it possible to edit all the takes in a tracks playlist simultaneously?

currently, i drag the takes onto individual tracks, create a group, make the edits then stuff the takes back into their original location on the original track's playlist. i don't mind having to do it this way, i just thought there might be something i've overlooked?

thanks.
Old 02-20-2008, 04:34 AM

Default Re: simultaneously move takes in playlists?

no. It's one of those things lots of people long for.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 02-20-2008, 06:19 AM

it's current implementation is very silly.

You definitely do not want the playlists underneath to move with your top playlists every time, so there needs to be a slick implementation that allows you to switch back and forth very easily.

Playlists need an overhaul anyway....
Old 02-20-2008, 11:46 PM

Quote:
You definitely do not want the playlists underneath to move with your top playlists every time, so there needs to be a slick implementation that allows you to switch back and forth very easily.
absolutely. it's a rare occasion that i need to edit like this but a simple checkbox in the editing preferences would do the trick.

off to the ol' feature request form i guess...
Old 02-21-2008, 03:23 AM

It seems like a typical thing you could forget to turn off and ruin a session with
Old 02-21-2008, 03:39 AM

The multiple takes feature should definately be made usable - it's needed so much yet I usually try other things first and use this as a last resort which is a shame cause if it was better implemented I'd use it every day in every session and I know it's not just me.

One of biggest problems with the way "takes" works is when trying to go through previously cut takes. It's so easy to choose a take that's not synced to the current location on the timeline.
Hope Digi listens and does something about it.
Old 02-22-2008, 01:37 PM

I'll add +1 for this feature please digi !

x

B Rig: (Home/Office). M1 Mac Studio - 64gb ram - OSX 12.7.1, PT Ultimate2023.6, HD Native Thunderbolt, Omni, Avid Artist Control

http://www.lostboysstudio.com
Old 02-22-2008, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Quote:
absolutely. it's a rare occasion that i need to edit like this but a simple checkbox in the editing preferences would do the trick.

off to the ol' feature request form i guess...
Let me just say that some of us would leave this feature on ALL THE TIME. I can't think of a single time that I've been editing a session (like for a single) when I didn't want ALL the vocal takes for instance, to be edited along with that chorus I chopped out. Because sure enough the artist is going to ask for an alternate take on a phrase once I finish the mix with that 3rd chorus edited out, and when I start to re-comp the vocal, looking for that alternate phrase after the edit, guess what? All the other vocal playlists are still 16 bars longer, so those alternate vocal takes are 16 bars LATE to the session now (the length of the chorus chopped out).

And it's not just playlists. Any hidden track will not be edited either. So all of those will be 16 bars too long now as well.

This is not just a "sometime" feature for some of us. For a lot of us it would be the default setting that stays on all the time.

This has been asked for about 20 times a year for the last 5 years at least, and I can't even think of a single time that somebody at Digi even commented on it!

Simple buttons in preferences: Edits affect (check one or both) 1.) All playlists in edited tracks 2.) All hidden tracks

This way, if I edit out a chorus in a song (using the "ALL" group in Shuffle mode for instance), all the alternate takes on other playlists (vocals, drums, bass etc) are edited as well, along with any hidden tracks.

AND since I like to put those edit pieces down past the song at the end of the session (just in case), the edited tracks, underlaying playlists and hidden track pieces should all be able to be pasted as a group. So my 16 bar chorus is pasted at the end but is still completely intact as far as hidden tracks and playlists.

Please, this seems like such a simple basic request.
Pro Tools 10/11 HD, Mac OS 10.8.2, Mac Pro 2 x 2.4 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon (June 2012) 64 Gig RAM, Avid HDX Card, OMNI HD I/O, 192 HD 16x16, Artist MC Control, Firewire audio drives, Sony Bravia 42" HDMI monitor, Acer 24" monitor