Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 10-23-2011, 09:19 AM

Default Re: Avid, why can we still not disable software monitoring (for ALL outputs)?

Well this is very disappointing. If I didn't do post I would never use PT again. Other Daws have had software monitoring for for years. I for one will not be upgrading to PT10.

Lief Stevens
http://www.orangekrushband.com/
Old 10-23-2011, 09:46 AM

Default Re: Avid, why can we still not disable software monitoring (for ALL outputs)?

it could be done easily, they don't allow us to have this option, because they want us to pay $$$$ for HDX cards.
Old 10-23-2011, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebolao View Post
it could be done easily, they don't allow us to have this option, because they want us to pay $$$$ for HDX cards.
Sad but true. Yep it's by design that they keep it crippled. The net result is they can still claim PT works with 3rd party interfaces, but they can skirt around the issues of how well it actually works or doesn't by keeping the monitoring functions intentially limited. It's a way of making some great 3rd party interfaces only partially functional, and HD still ahead.

To me the monitoring issues are a complete deal breaker, and my workaround will still be what it's been over the last year of PT9 ownership. I'll continue to use REAPER, and wonder how or if I'll ever actually use PT.
Old 10-23-2011, 11:18 PM

Isn't this feature unlocked with the CPTK. Sure it's expensive but if you wanted it that bad you'd invest into it. I wont be going CPTK until 2013 and yea I believe it is over priced. But once I got it ill have all those nice features, by then it will probably be the 3rd CPTK release and pro tools will have gone 64 bit.

Personally I like the way pro tools works as a program so the greed is just a flaw I have to deal with if I use Pro Tools. And I hope many people hate on avid end up not buying pro tools so that my future purchases are more affordable after a while.
Old 10-24-2011, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKinTN View Post
Sad but true. Yep it's by design that they keep it crippled. The net result is they can still claim PT works with 3rd party interfaces, but they can skirt around the issues of how well it actually works or doesn't by keeping the monitoring functions intentially limited. It's a way of making some great 3rd party interfaces only partially functional, and HD still ahead.

To me the monitoring issues are a complete deal breaker, and my workaround will still be what it's been over the last year of PT9 ownership. I'll continue to use REAPER, and wonder how or if I'll ever actually use PT.
+1. I think they're missing something, though: 99% of the people who want to use their 3rd party interface with low latency monitor mixes won't buy HD(X) so their plan to make more money by restricting PT won't even work. Only thing that's going to happen is that people will sell ProTools or never even consider to buy it because it doesn't work. So they loose money instead of making more. But yeah, they probably fired all the thinking employees and left only the greedy marketing and management intact
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxeDye View Post
Isn't this feature unlocked with the CPTK. Sure it's expensive but if you wanted it that bad you'd invest into it. I wont be going CPTK until 2013 and yea I believe it is over priced. But once I got it ill have all those nice features, by then it will probably be the 3rd CPTK release and pro tools will have gone 64 bit.

Personally I like the way pro tools works as a program so the greed is just a flaw I have to deal with if I use Pro Tools. And I hope many people hate on avid end up not buying pro tools so that my future purchases are more affordable after a while.
Are you serious? $2000 for an OFF switch? I don't want any other feature that comes with the CPTK, so.... no, thank you. I'd rather buy two 1176 clones and go on a 14 day holiday trip with 2k.
If this is not fixed with PT10 at some point soon (should've been patched for PT9 on day one) I will sell my license and never consider buying anything from this ridiculous company again.
Old 10-24-2011, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxeDye View Post
Isn't this feature unlocked with the CPTK. Sure it's expensive but if you wanted it that bad you'd invest into it.
Yeah just read through the manual. I looks like with CPTK you get full input monitoring. Why they think a very basic feature that every other DAW has had for a decade should be a very expensive add-on is beyond me. Oh wait I do know, Greed.

I wish that there was there were more DAWs that could handle post. I know there is Nuendo but Steinberg has their own problems. I would love it if Reaper would become a viable post program. I love their attitude and business model.

Lief Stevens
Old 10-24-2011, 08:28 AM

Adding this might be enough enticement for me to buy the v10 upgrade. As it stands Ill put the cash into outboard and use Reaper.
Old 10-24-2011, 11:34 AM

I just want to add my support for this thread. I've been watching for the input monitoring fix for some time as well and believe it is unbelievable that the CPTK is required to get full input monitoring. This is not an acceptable solution. I received the free update to version 10 because I upgraded to 9 in October. I was very much hoping to see the input monitoring bug fixed in this release.

One question I have is why has no one from Avid bothered to comment here on this thread? Maybe I missed it.
Old 10-24-2011, 02:49 PM

i have just searched the CPTK manual for "monitor" and found NOTHING about input monitoring.

so it's not even there, you need the HD(X)
Old 10-24-2011, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebolao View Post
i have just searched the CPTK manual for "monitor" and found NOTHING about input monitoring.

so it's not even there, you need the HD(X)
No CPTK has it. Look in the "Pro Tools Reference Guide". Lot's of info on input monitoring in there but every time it is mentioned it says "Pro Tools HD and
Pro Tools with Complete Production Toolkit
only".

Lief Stevens