Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9

Old 05-17-2011, 07:49 AM

Default Pro Tools 9 MP??

I purchased a (boxed) cross-grade from pro tools 8 M Powered to pro tools 9 a few months ago. However, today I received an email from Avid advertising "Pro Tools 9 MP" - apparently designed specifically for use with M-Audio interfaces. Check out the info page here:

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/ProToolsMP9.html

I suspect it's just a different name for the cross-grade that I already purchased, but like I said, the product page advertises it as "hardware compatible with dozens of M-Audio interfaces" I thought this was a strange pitch considering one of the main features of pt9 is the severing of ties with specific hardware types.

Not that it matters to me now (as my upgrade to pt9 is working perfectly) but what is the point of this?? thoughts?
Old 05-17-2011, 08:12 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools 9 MP??

LOL they did exactly what they said they would do. This is an upgrade while the LE line terminated and the 9 "lets call it vanilla" line emerged. im not sure why 9 is more expensive except that its deteathered from hardware but, this is going to bring a bit of confusion for a while.
Old 05-17-2011, 09:52 AM

Unhappy Re: Pro Tools 9 MP??

Yah, this is very confusing. I recall Avid advertising that all other versions of PT (non-HD) would go away and there would only be PT9 and PT9|HD. Now I see this PT 9 MP? What gives? I was a PT8MP user and plopped down good coin to upgrade to PT9 and now I see I could have upgraded for $199 instead of the ~$400 back then. Grant it I did ditch by Profire 2626 and picked up a Focusrite unit instead so I don't regret my decision, but I think it was misleading of Avid to advertise a uniform version of PT and then come out with another version. Are there any functional differences between PT9 and PT9MP? I say if people still want to use their M-Audio interfaces, get the original PT9 - let's not start diluting the version already and carving it up just so that M-Audio has something that they can advertise. I know it's all one big Avid family, but I don't think this is a good move for the PT brand.
Old 05-17-2011, 11:14 AM

It's very simple.

PT9 full is untethered, has 96 tracks, 32 I/O, 256 buses, OMF/AAF import/export and supports up to 192k sessions.

PT9 M-Powered is tethered to M-Audio hardware, has 48 tracks, 18 I/O, 32 buses, OMF/AAF import only, and only goes up to 96k. It also costs half of what PT9 does.

There was nothing misleading about this version. They said very clearly in the PT9 FAQ that a PT9 M-Powered was coming.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 05-17-2011, 12:16 PM

Dism are you are specing PT9 with MPTK2? it doesnt look like avid updated the grid http://www.avid.com/US/products/fami...-Tools/compare but since m goes to 96k i know there are a few things wrong
Old 05-17-2011, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by browniespeaks View Post
Dism are you are specing PT9 with MPTK2? it doesnt look like avid updated the grid http://www.avid.com/US/products/fami...-Tools/compare but since m goes to 96k i know there are a few things wrong
I don't think the MPTK does anything with PT9M-P but I could be wrong.

The specs I'm quoting are for the base version of PT9M-P as specified here: http://www.m-audio.com/ProToolsMP

D

Old 05-18-2011, 06:07 AM

I was confused also, I just purchased PT9 because I thought MP was going away. I was wondering if PT9 would support my M Audio project-mix I/O control surface functionality, I can't find any info on that.
Old 05-18-2011, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxmanreed View Post
I was wondering if PT9 would support my M Audio project-mix I/O control surface functionality, I can't find any info on that.
Of course it does...

Why is it so confusing?

Nothing was removed from Pro Tools in terms of hardware functionality. Why would a Project Mix suddenly not work as designed?

D

Old 05-18-2011, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dism View Post
Of course it does...

Why is it so confusing?

Nothing was removed from Pro Tools in terms of hardware functionality. Why would a Project Mix suddenly not work as designed?
The confusion was pertaining to fact that there is a MP version of PT9 period, the control surface question was just that a question and yes I have experienced situations were software changes rendered hardware inoperable.