Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 12-23-2002, 01:35 PM

Default Re: Best analog mixer

I don't trust Behringer.
Old 12-24-2002, 12:51 AM

Default Best analog mixer

I was wondering if anyone had a preference for an analog mixer. Should I get a Behringer, a Mackie, or other?? Which would work best with the 001?
Old 12-24-2002, 07:44 AM

A lot of folks don't trust Beringer.

Mackies are ulra transparent and last forever. I have the 1402 and I love it.
Old 12-24-2002, 07:52 AM

I love Mackie boards...for the money, they are hard to beat (decent mic pre's, too!). I have a 1202vlz and it works great...
Old 12-24-2002, 07:57 AM

Find a used Soundcraft Ghost 24X8. I recently saw one for around $2500. Good pres, GREAT eqs, GREAT routing options, multiple stereo headphone mixes, etc...
Old 12-24-2002, 09:49 AM

So Soundcraft or Mackie, eh? Thanks guys! I've always had my eye on a Mackie, I've heard nuthin but good stuff about them. Soundcraft is new to me, I'll have to hunt around fot that brand.

The reason I was asking is because I read on one of the earlier threads that running your gear through an analog mixer before the 001 is preferred. So basically, I go out and get a 5 or 10 track Mackie and run it to my 001, and I'll notice an increase in quality. Would you guys agree?
Old 12-26-2002, 09:15 AM

Using a mixer as a mic pre gives you options as far as EQ and gain. You're using the board as a mic pre and it can help tailor each sound. The next step up will be a dedicated mic pre. If you don't plan on recording several sources at the same time, you may just want to get a mic pre, although having the mackie for the faders for my monitors and bringing in other sources (cd, records, etc) is very handy.
Old 12-27-2002, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sparkles the Clown:
So Soundcraft or Mackie, eh? Thanks guys! I've always had my eye on a Mackie, I've heard nuthin but good stuff about them. Soundcraft is new to me, I'll have to hunt around fot that brand.

The reason I was asking is because I read on one of the earlier threads that running your gear through an analog mixer before the 001 is preferred. So basically, I go out and get a 5 or 10 track Mackie and run it to my 001, and I'll notice an increase in quality. Would you guys agree?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I have a Mackie 1642 vlz pro w/XDR (eXtended Dynamic Range)-- The Pre's on this one are great and I have to tell you they are clear...
I use a Marshal MXL condenser and I can hear the wife in the kitchen talking on her cell..(er.. maybee that is not a good thing.) But I tell you CRYSTAL CLEAR is what I mean... I don't have another pre to compare, but I do have a Mackie CFX12 and I like it for the live stuff, into a pair of Mackie Active 15" 2 way's, another clear board...I used to have a Peavy 24x4 and It sucked,, Blanketed sounding even running through a 1300 watt Peavy amp. and Peavy SP4's, you had to crank the highs way past 2 o'clock to get the top to sound good.. So as far as my opinion goes IT IS MACKIE all the way...Hope this helps..

~Digi001user-