Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 02-15-2005, 05:42 PM

Default Best ProTools book?

Hi folks... just got a Digi 002 and have messed with it somewhat and read the manual. This weekend, though, I'm leaving home for a few days, and the trip involves 14 hours of plane travel and another 12 by land.

In short, I need reading material.

I'd like to use all this reading time to deepen my understanding of my new ProTools set up.

Can anyone recommend a really good ProTools book, one that would serve a rookie well in getting going (but would also work well for someone with a bit more experience, in other words, a book that goes from maybe total newbie up to intermediate/advanced?)
Old 02-15-2005, 06:33 PM

Default Re: Best ProTools book?

I really enjoyed "Pro Tools 6 for Mac and Windows - Visual Quickstart Guide" - by Steven Roback. Not cheap, but the most comprehensive for all levels.
On a much simpler note, David Franz's book is quite good, though I find he often goes off on these boring 'studio management' tangeants.
Old 02-15-2005, 07:09 PM

my faves
1) ProTools Power - MacQueen & Albanese
2) Producing in the Home Studio with ProTools - David Franz
3) The Complete ProTools Handbook - Jose Valenzuela

all helpful....but I'm not sure if they are all current with PT 6.7
Apogee Rosetta 200/ UA LA-610
Genelec 8030A/7050b
McDSP, Waves, Sony, URS, Spectrasonics, BFD, Altiverb
Old 02-16-2005, 12:07 PM

When I was more of a noob the John Keane book was great (Supercat Press), good advice on file management and my wrists are still thanking him for recommending the Kensington Pro Trackball. Just recently got a book by Mike Collins called "Pro Tools for Music Production" which is pretty good, it gets into tempo-map stuff that I wish the Roback book had..... pricey though...
Cheers!
G4 PB 1.25 GHz
Old 02-16-2005, 01:20 PM

I found the David Franz book to be more focused on Producing in the home Studio with ProTools as asecondary topic
Old 02-16-2005, 04:37 PM

I think the PT manual is always helpful. Knowledge of how protools works has been more helpful than mixing techniques, I think. Figuring out how to get things to sound good is often easier than understanding how protools works. I have been saved many many times by the manual - it's a God Send.
Old 02-16-2005, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Figuring out how to get things to sound good is often easier than understanding how protools works
While I agree with your thoughts on the manual, I think the opposite of your comment above, but that's just me.
Old 02-17-2005, 12:50 PM

what i meant with my statement is that playing with gear (plugins, outboard boxes, etc...) it is often easier to find out what they do because you know what they can do (compression, eq, verb) and using your ears to get things to sound good is easier and more fun to do than trying to figure out everything that protools does and what you can do with it. for example, knowing that holding down control will keep a region in place when you try to drag it up through different tracks is typically not something you just find out while you're playing around. just me, using my ears is easier than figure out programs, i think
Old 02-17-2005, 09:37 PM

I have been using ProTools in a professional environment and at home for about the last four years. I have never bought a book on how to use ProTools because I assumed it would just tell me things I could easily figure out for myself. Is this true?

Are any of these books giving secrets that the manual and a fair amount of trial and error wouldn't teach?
002 - PT 6.4
Event 20/20bas