Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 05-17-2011, 05:29 PM

Default Digital Packaging for the Broadcast Networks

Now that Sony Tape is hard to come by we are being forced to package TV shows and commercials for the broadcasters. Anyone else having to do this?

On one hand its a good thing because Tape lay backs and Dubs don't have to be done as frequently per show.

But on the other hand there is so many different specs for each network that must be followed. And costs that have to be implemented to properly package the material.

Anyone else feeling this impact yet? with the shortage of tape stock? our facility is looking at having to buy some software and machine to run the new software and our Sony SR deck is collecting dust.

kd
Old 05-17-2011, 07:29 PM

Arrow Re: Digital Packaging for the Broadcast Networks

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd_special View Post
Anyone else feeling this impact yet? with the shortage of tape stock?
Yes. One of our clients switched to digital delivery. It actually costs more for them to have us do digital delivery than it does to do a layback.
Old 05-18-2011, 05:28 AM

Default Re: Digital Packaging for the Broadcast Networks

Although I'm sure there will be teething problems, in the long run this can only be a good thing. Long over due and sad it had to happen due to tape shortages, but at least it's happening.

BBC Radio has been tapeless for best part of a decade. Obviously it's far easier when dealing with audio only, but now the network infrastructure is getting to a point where it can reliably transfer video, this is a natural progression and will save time and money in the long run.

Out of curiosity, why does it cost them more for you to deliver digitally?
Old 05-18-2011, 07:34 AM

Hi,
Just out of curiosity, what do you mean by "digital packaging" exactly? Could you put an example and what costs are implied?
We send and receive digital files to clients all the time, never heard that term.
Thanks!
Old 05-18-2011, 08:19 AM

To be honest I don't know all the specifics yet. And the cost and time will fall more on the video end than the audio end.

however I know we have to look into software to package the shows properly to meet the specs of the broadcasters this is not something that can be done in quicktime or Avid. At least not at this time yet. I was told that will one day be coming for avid users.

All I know so far is that its a major problem for our client of 80 episodes that I'm mixing right now and the video guys say its causing them problems too.

I do know the audio has to be packaged with the video in Pairs as opposed to mono files for each channel As well there are more rendering times involved total about 2 hours as opposed to laying back a 20 min tape.

Perhaps its not as big of a deal as Video department is leading on too but who knows. So far from my side its kind of a drag because I can never check to make sure that its all in sync Or with Stereo pairs if they ever get messed up that could be dangerous. It worries me i guess.

kd
Old 05-18-2011, 04:52 PM

Post Re: Digital Packaging for the Broadcast Networks

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_lowe View Post
Out of curiosity, why does it cost them more for you to deliver digitally?
When you layoff to tape, you get to QC during the layoff, and then you are done. You messenger or FedEx the tape. It's one pass in realtime.

When you deliver files, you are relying on the operator to do the QC, not a machine room operator or an assistant. Plus you have to bounce out the file, which is a realtime process. Then you have to QC it externally (or hope the operator got it right) and then upload the file, which takes time and bandwidth.

I am not actually doing this work, so I may be leaving out some steps in the process, but not making a tape takes more time to both create the deliverable and then actually deliver it when compared to just making a tape.
Old 05-18-2011, 05:40 PM

What software is being used to make the "package"?

Can somebody please post the technical specs they have received for such packaging.
Old 05-18-2011, 07:19 PM

I dont have all the details on software yet however I do know that AVID XMF was used for one test we did. But I believe they still wanted it in another format. with different software.

SMPTE just had a workshop in Toronto on the weekend regarding digital formatting for broadcasters and our video guy attended. He said there will be costs looking forward in the future and that we will have to consider these formats for commercials formats as well as TV shows.

Yeah there is a lot more variables when delivering by files the main thing that freaks me out is that there is no kinda final check for me. I have to pray that the video I sunk it with was the same in the digital format. With tape I know what I put on that tape is in sync then that tape is then taken and dubbed etc.

With files Im trusting whoever is dubbing and making 23.976 and 59.94 copies of the files knows what they are doing Or it could come back to me and I can't easily prove that what I did was in sync since I cant pop it into the deck and say see its in sync not my fault.

kd
Old 05-18-2011, 07:22 PM

Have anyone seen the Blackmagic Hyper Deck? http://www.blackmagic-design.com/pro...perdeckstudio/

With a few upgrades it could be a nice replacement for HDCAM

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 05-21-2011, 04:46 PM

Hi kd,

what, 2 h for a 20 min film? O my god what program are you using?
And that brings to my point, i haven´t seen a good solution expect our own.

Take a look at :

http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/224...mitchannel.png

Thats our solution for assembling audio to a qt movie. It´s like a very small Pro Tools.
So you can select new Tracks (mono,stereo,5.1 etc.) and put your audio channels in that track. You can preview and prelisten before you render the movie.

Some ideas that go beyond rendering:

Metadata and transfer to watchfolders for automatic mxf coding.

My 2 cents

Jochen