Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack

Old 07-29-2011, 03:49 PM

Default FX Loop with loop station - how do I prevent the "cut" when changing rig?

Hi,

With my Eleven Rack, I started to use the BOSS RC-50 Loop Station. To do that, I use the FX Loop send/return:

Eleven Rack send --> RC-50 instrument in (stereo)

RC-50 main out --> Eleven Rack Return (also stereo)

My main problem is that if the loop station is playing and I change to a different rig, there's a very audible "cut" or "blank" in the sound (I assume it's the FX Loop being disabled / enabled, it is on for all rigs I use for loops obviously). Any advice to prevent that would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Julien
Old 07-30-2011, 03:26 AM

Default Re: FX Loop with loop station - how do I prevent the "cut" when changing rig?

I believe the only way to do this right is:
1. Don't switch rigs
2. Switch rigs at the exact right time (depending on your loop the results may be better or worse :))
3. Place the loop station not in the FX loop, but after the output of the eleven rack. (11R --> Loop Station --> PA/Monitor/Whatever)

I'm also thinking about getting a loop station (or some other kind of looping device). So I'll be reading this :)
Old 08-01-2011, 12:57 PM

Default Re: FX Loop with loop station - how do I prevent the "cut" when changing rig?

Thanks for your suggestions CoiLive!

I have a few other constraints unfortunately that makes it hard to implement them however.

I had originally started to write all the details but it got too confusing! In short:
- the eleven rack is used to record the performance (me + other musicians as described below) and as my personal PA through headphones (main out) so I can hear the other musicians;
- amp-out is used to send sound to the room / other musicians and is "locked" (don't change with the volume knob);
- line in would be available;
- digital: I have something coming in through spdif, can I use spdif out?

I'm not sure how I could get my sound "out" and back "in", so I can (1) hear myself along with the rest of the musicians I record and (2) record the looping...

Another strategy I thought of is to use the foot controller not to change rig, but to change the amp model, etc. and stay on the same "rig". I believe it can be done, need to dive in the MIDI documentation.

I'll post my results whatever they are when I try this (should be a matter of days at most depending on my schedule).

Thanks again for your input, it got me started again!

Julien
Old 08-14-2011, 12:00 AM

Following up as promised, here's what works for me in the context I'm using the loop station:

Eleven Rack "Output to Amp" (L+R) ---> Loop station in
Loop station out --> Eleven Rack line in (L+R)

The loop station has a few outs so I can use it to redirect the sound of my guitar to PA, etc. However, I lose the two line in entries, which will be a problem for me sometimes. I will try to be creative!

So, if anybody knows how to have an effect not switch off/on when changing rig, let us know.

Thanks again for your input!

Julien