Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid Pro Mixing General Discussion

Old 01-30-2019, 07:52 AM

Default Setting gain levels for VIs and such

This recent discussion on gain staging got me thinking about gain levels for input signals from VI's. I like using the Waves VU meter as it helps see how everything is behaving. What I've been doing is using it on an instrument track as I set up a VI part, and then adjust the master output gain on the VI itself so the VU meter pegs around 0.

When I want to commit a track, I'll set up an aux output to an aux track with VU and set the track fader in PT to get the output to 0 on the VU and then commit. That seems to give me a good clean audio track. I tend to think of my VI's as "live player" substitutes and set input record levels the way I would if I were miking that same part with a live player.

Then, if I set up a submix aux channel, say for all synth parts, then I'll sue the VU meter again to keep the total mix levels of all the tracks going in to 0. Then, I use the submix faders to keep the levels on the master as close to -6 or -8db as I can with the VU meter (or other).

Am I thinking of this the right way? Is there a better way? This way seems to keep everything clean and clear and I've found I get much less mud and can focus on balancing the parts better. Since most everything I do involves using only VI's, this way seems to work. But maybe I'm missing some other better way?

Thoughts?

Old 01-30-2019, 12:11 PM

Default Re: Setting gain levels for VIs and such

I found these helpful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxX5...XIklm&index=51 and there is another one that shows how he uses the waves meters to set up gain staging :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Px-r3HHV6aA
Old 01-31-2019, 10:42 AM

Default Re: Setting gain levels for VIs and such

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64GTOBOY View Post
I found these helpful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxX5...XIklm&index=51 and there is another one that shows how he uses the waves meters to set up gain staging :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Px-r3HHV6aA

Thanks. I have seen these before. I'm really thinking (or asking, I should say) more specifically about how I'm using it in the way I commit VI's to audio and/or set up submixes.

Much of what is shown in these videos is what I try to do, especially when I import audio tracks for somewhere else.