Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-03-2019, 10:31 AM

Default Re: Best Imac for Protools 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Righty27 View Post
Happy New Year Lars!

I did see your other recent thread, where you again raised your concerns with the help/attitudes from this community. On reflection, and now that we understand your level of computer expertise a bit better, I suspect you've been bombarded by too much information when several steps are going to have to be followed to address your problems.

To compensate for some of the time/effort some are putting in to help you help yourself (almost universal/repeated recommendations BTW - some frustration from contributors is possibly understandable when you keep being advised the same things yet you do different, maybe because the subtleties of different types of backup have not been fully understood?), could I suggest that now would be a good time for you to read back through this thread carefully, as more of this might now make sense? Maybe set out your own step-by-step plan and post it here for review?

Key points at this stage, as I see them:

(i) RAM upgrade order placed (GOOD!): this can be installed at any stage as it will only affect the performance of your MacBook (just make sure you have a good backup before starting) i.e. it does not have to be the first step.

(ii) CLONE backup: recommendation - buy CCC now for $40 at http://www.bombich.com

See below (*) for some generic information on the differences between Time Machine/Capsule and CCC.

You won't need the backup you've just done on your Glyph drive so the disk can be formatted again and re-used for the CCC clone. FYI, CCC can save the task that you will initially set up (name it 'backup') so that it can quickly be run next time you want to update your clone backup on your Glyph drive (once you have CCC, you might prefer to return here specifically for advice on getting that first backup done securely + verified/tested, as Jack has repeated, by booting your system off the clone itself).

(iii) Update OSX/MacOS + applications + plugins: you will have to do this REGARDLESS of whether you continue with your MacBook (in any of the scenarios you have now proposed e.g. sessions are not easily swapped between PT10 and 2018) or buy a new iMac.

If you were to start again on a new Mac running Mojave (the only OS option), you WOULD NOT be able to restore your MacBook's 'old' incompatible OS and software to it. So, the first thing you'd have to do is upgrade all your applications (like Safari and Pro Tools - setting aside for a moment that Pro Tools is not yet qualified for Mojave) and all your plugins (Waves) ... so you might as well start this now on a MacBook that is in all likelihood (with 16GB RAM) going to work fine!

An additional benefit is that once up-to-date and working reliably, you WOULD be able to back up this system and restore it to a new Mac that would now be running the same up-to-date OS (Mojave) with compatible apps ... it's just you might find you no longer need to (maybe still want to however?!)

Not sure when your RAM is due but as you have the Glyph drive already and with CCC available instantly online, you should be able to start working your way through this quite quickly. It seems that it is these software upgrades that you are reluctant to embark on, maybe hoping that you could buy your way out of the time/effort with a new iMac ... however it is this that should address the bulk of your problems and not the latest hardware, on which you would still have to do the same upgrades (notwithstanding a new Mac would have the OS and latest Safari preinstalled) - hope this helps!

* More detailed explanation on types of backup: CCC is different to 'Time Machine' and would not require your Time Capsule at all (if you do use Time Machine already, you should continue to use this ALSO but not INSTEAD of a clone - they are different beasts).

FYI, Time Machine copies just changed user files with each backup yet retains old copies of the changed/deleted files, basically until space on your external disk runs out. Whilst this can be useful if you need a copy of an old file that has become corrupted or accidentally deleted, if you had to restore the whole system, it would take a while to reconstruct + the backup could not be used on a separate Mac to boot from (you could do this with a clone, essentially allowing you to continue working exactly as your system looked at the time of the backup using a borrowed Mac ... or simply use the clone backup to restore quickly by 'cloning' the external backup [on your Glyph] back to the new Mac's internal system drive).

Everybody here has recommended CCC (FYI, not the only cloning software/application) - if you use this in its simplest form (without SafetyNet, for example), it will create an exact copy of your MacBook's internal hard drive. Even if/when you get a new Mac, this tool will be important to have and include in your routine (backups can be automated/scheduled BTW).
I apreciate the information.. I have been re-reading all the Posts as there is a lot for me to process.. including this Post!

It's all really good information & I do appreciate it.. I'm trying to understand it all & implement it as best I can..

Next to do is the Carbon Copy Clone Back Up..

I'm ordering the 16 GB Ram from OWC.. Any suggestions as to where I should buy the Samsung SSD? (Although, as suggested, I'll probably do that at a later time.) Also, which would be a good Tool Kit & what kind of anti magnetic surface pad?

Question; As I mentioned previously I did a System Backup to a new Glyph Studio 7200RPM 1T External Hard Drive (Firewire, USB 3.0, eSATA). That Hard Drive is disconnected..

My #1 Main Project External Hard Drive is currently Plugged in. Last night I opened a Project to work on. After a couple minutes a message popped up. I'd never seen this one before. It said, something like, I may be losing my Projects or someone may be trying to access your Hard Drive & gave me a couple choices to choose from. Not sure what was going on I clicked the ? for more information. The message closed.. Not sure what happened?? I continued working on my Project..

When I was done I closed out of the Project. For some reason the Hard Drive or External Hard Drive was doing another System Back up???

Also, since doing the System Back Up I'm getting numerous CPU messages that are stopping playback of my Project???

Anyone know what's going on??

Thanks,

L
Old 01-03-2019, 11:59 AM

OK Lars - I suggest we really need to clear up this ‘system backup’ issue first :)

Please answer each question:

* Before you plugged in the new Glyph, had you been using any backup application e.g. Time Machine on your Time Capsule?
* Do you know what type of backup you have made with the new Glyph? Did a window pop-up onscreen when you first plugged it in and you just followed instructions to use it for a backup?
* Click on System Preferences and check to see if Time Machine is enabled, and if so, go through options to see which disks it is using for backups (sorry - I can’t guide you more specifically as I’m on a later OS version and this has changed, I believe)

Explanation: we need to work out if you have enabled Time Machine and, if so, if you have inadvertently set this up to work with both your new Glyph and your external project drive.

Plan: although all backups might sound the same, we are trying to use the new Glyph specifically for a CCC clone, not Time Machine. If you do have a Time Capsule (please confirm - this is a specific name for an Apple product that contains a router + hard drive), it would be useful to continue using this for Time Machine backups ... however best to deactivate the ‘automatic’ setting whilst using Pro Tools.

Last edited by Righty27; 01-03-2019 at 12:28 PM.
Old 01-03-2019, 02:16 PM

Quote:
OK Lars - I suggest we really need to clear up this ‘system backup’ issue first :)

* Before you plugged in the new Glyph, had you been using any backup application e.g. Time Machine on your Time Capsule?
* Do you know what type of backup you have made with the new Glyph? Did a window pop-up onscreen when you first plugged it in and you just followed instructions to use it for a backup?
* Click on System Preferences and check to see if Time Machine is enabled, and if so, go through options to see which disks it is using for backups (sorry - I can’t guide you more specifically as I’m on a later OS version and this has changed, I believe)

Explanation: we need to work out if you have enabled Time Machine and, if so, if you have inadvertently set this up to work with both your new Glyph and your external project drive.

Plan: although all backups might sound the same, we are trying to use the new Glyph specifically for a CCC clone, not Time Machine. If you do have a Time Capsule (please confirm - this is a specific name for an Apple product that contains a router + hard drive), it would be useful to continue using this for Time Machine backups ... however best to deactivate the ‘automatic’ setting whilst using Pro Tools.
I'm guessing that if Lars reformatted the Glyph he was asked by OSX if he wanted to use the Glyph as a Time Machine backup device. That's a default question that comes up when OSX encounters a new drive. I'm suspecting the new Glyph is being used as a Time Machine drive and that is what's causing his problems.

As is said reformat the Glyph and use it strictly as a CCC clone drive.

QAPLA!
Old 01-03-2019, 04:30 PM

Quote:

1. No
2. I called Glyph Tech Support & asked them to walk me through a System Back up for the new Glyph.. It was the only External Hard Drive I had plugged in.
3. I just checked System Preferences & Time Machine is still ON.. I presume I should probably shut it off until I want to do another System Back up the proper External Hard Drive? After I did the System Back up I closed out of that Hard Drive & unplugged it. I plugged my #1 Project External Hard Drive back in.. So I guess with the Time Machine on it's doing continous Backups to either the Computer or my Project External Hard Drive or both... Which is what I don't want...
Old 01-03-2019, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsongs View Post
1. No
2. I called Glyph Tech Support & asked them to walk me through a System Back up for the new Glyph.. It was the only External Hard Drive I had plugged in.
3. I just checked System Preferences & Time Machine is still ON.. I presume I should probably shut it off until I want to do another System Back up the proper External Hard Drive? After I did the System Back up I closed out of that Hard Drive & unplugged it. I plugged my #1 Project External Hard Drive back in.. So I guess with the Time Machine on it's doing continous Backups to either the Computer or my Project External Hard Drive or both... Which is what I don't want...
I hate repeating myself and I imagine other posters here are getting tired of it but do NOT use Time machine as a backup mechanism. Don't know why you called Glyph about doing a system backup as you've been given all the info you need right here.

And that is:
Buy Carbon Copy Cloner and use that as your backup procedure to the external drive (Glyph in this case). And for the love of all that's sane - turn off Time Machine! And that's super easy as it's part of OSX system preferences.

QAPLA!
Old 01-03-2019, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
I hate repeating myself and I imagine other posters here are getting tired of it but do NOT use Time machine as a backup mechanism. Don't know why you called Glyph about doing a system backup as you've been given all the info you need right here.

And that is:
Buy Carbon Copy Cloner and use that as your backup procedure to the external drive (Glyph in this case). And for the love of all that's sane - turn off Time Machine! And that's super easy as it's part of OSX system preferences.
I stated a bit earlier the Carbon Copy Cloner is next on my to do list...

I did shut off the Time Machine in System Preferences earlier as well..

I called Glyph as I've never done a System Backup before & didn't want any problems afterwards like the ones I'm experiencing now. Which I also mentioned in my previous Post. Any thoughts on that?

Also, what is a good Tool Kit & anti magnetic Pad? Where's the best place to buy the Samsun SSD?

Seems like every time I attempt to change something with a Computer there is some new unexpected side affect that creates another issue.. Tremendous amounts of time spent on endless learning curves... Instead of playing, recording & mixing.... The creative & fun part.

Thanks
Old 01-04-2019, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsongs View Post
I stated a bit earlier the Carbon Copy Cloner is next on my to do list...

I did shut off the Time Machine in System Preferences earlier as well..

I called Glyph as I've never done a System Backup before & didn't want any problems afterwards like the ones I'm experiencing now. Which I also mentioned in my previous Post. Any thoughts on that?

Also, what is a good Tool Kit & anti magnetic Pad? Where's the best place to buy the Samsun SSD?

Seems like every time I attempt to change something with a Computer there is some new unexpected side affect that creates another issue.. Tremendous amounts of time spent on endless learning curves... Instead of playing, recording & mixing.... The creative & fun part.

Thanks
We already gave you multiple times how to do a system backup. Use CCC and read their instructions. Simple.

As for the toolkit you've also been given that advice many times - buy from OWC. They may well also have the mat. You have but to search their site.

Two good places to buy a Samsung ssd - Amazon and/or B&H in NYC. Being you're on the West Coast maybe there's a Fry's close to you.

QAPLA!
Old 01-04-2019, 05:40 AM

...hilarious...can't wait for the movie...
Old 01-04-2019, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowthert View Post
...hilarious...can't wait for the movie...
Yeah.....especially when it gets to the Fight scene........
Old 01-04-2019, 10:06 PM

I ordered the 16 GB Ram & Tool kit from OWC today.

Hopefully this weekend I can make the Carbon Copy Clone Back Up...

I did notice that while the Time Machine was On it did a System Back up on the MBP too.. Which wasn't my plan...

Any idea why I'm getting so many Stoppages & CPU Warnings Pop ups now after doing the System Back ups?