Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-2009, 05:54 AM

Default Kick Drum to MIDI help

Hey Everyone,

Im working with a metal band to do some mixes and the kick drum just sounds awful. Its alot of double kicks but in one song its pretty weak sounding.

My setup is a MBox Micro and a macbook pro. but i do have access to a 003 in my other studio. I have dried Drumagog with MIDIPipe which isnt sending the info out and not getting alot of the hits. and Melodyne while it got the hits added in all the snare rolls etc making it much harder.

Is there an easy way im missing or do i just need to sit and draw it all out?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Gordon
Old 03-25-2009, 08:21 AM

Default Re: Kick Drum to MIDI help

Try using a side chain option to trigger another drum hit when the original bass hits. Haven't tried myself yet, but have read enough and looked at videos on you tube to understand it. Good luck.

John
Old 03-25-2009, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordonotron View Post
Hey Everyone,

Im working with a metal band to do some mixes and the kick drum just sounds awful. Its alot of double kicks but in one song its pretty weak sounding.

My setup is a MBox Micro and a macbook pro. but i do have access to a 003 in my other studio. I have dried Drumagog with MIDIPipe which isnt sending the info out and not getting alot of the hits. and Melodyne while it got the hits added in all the snare rolls etc making it much harder.

Is there an easy way im missing or do i just need to sit and draw it all out?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Gordon
Are you saying the snare is bleeding through to the bass track so much that Melodyne can't separate them? Or you only have a stereo mix of the drums?

The only other software I know of that does the audio to midi thing is from Steve Massey. You have to buy one of his other plugins and then you get DTM for free... His plugs are great and are reasonably priced. I haven't tried the DTM but others on these forums have and they say it works well.. If it will work better than Melodyne... who's to say?

here's a thread:

http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread.php?t=231645

and here's his site:

http://www.masseyplugins.com/?page=dtm

Post back if you get this working..
Old 03-26-2009, 02:17 AM

Get some decent .gog files for Drumagog and you should be able to use those, I've recently had a similar issue and a combination of dupe-ing the track, gogging one and leaving the other then balancing them out fixed the sound up a treat. The timing, now that was a whole elastic issue in itself...
S6 M10
SSL Duality, AWS924, AWS948, Nucleus
All Mac