Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2023, 09:15 AM

Default Adding Playlist View to MIDI and Instrument Tracks

I have been a Pro Tools user for a long time and I am grateful for all of the recent improvements that have been added during the past few years. The new Melodyne integration is wonderful when it works.
I would like to submit a request to anyone reading from Avid to add playlist view to MIDI tracks. I know this has been mentioned before but it never seems to go too far.

Comping with MIDI would be a powerful additional feature for Pro Tools. I get frustrated when I create a drum track for a song. I approach a drum track using a hybrid process. Sometimes, I play a drum part straight thru recording the MIDI. But, many times when I’m writing I like to make a 4 bar clip that grooves then duplicate it for 4 minutes on the track. Then, go back and lay down the other instruments and vocals. I am sure that the majority of the Pro Tools songwriters out there use this method. After I record the basics of the song, I go back and add the drum fills to the appropriate parts. In Pro Tools this is a cumbersome process.

I use the MIDI Editor and imagine how I want the fill then spent time mouse clicking my way to something. Or, my preferred method is to play my Roland set during a playback, record the MIDI then grab the fills and merge them into the initial groove (fixing, quantizing etc.). Both methods are exhausting, a lot of work and I find myself losing my inspiration. Laying down a track when you are into it is really important to a musician.

Adding Playlist View to MIDI Tracks would be great because it would give me the ability to visually see the parts together, experiment with different takes and bring the powerful comping feature into MIDI editing. Of course, I’m just talking about drums. Being able to comp any virtual instrument like a sax or piano would be amazing. I know you can add a playlist to a MIDI track and I use this feature a lot but it’s the playlist view on MIDI that would be the game changer in my opinion. As long as I’m dreaming, being able to promote a MIDI clip within the playlist view like the audio track would be great too.

Don’t get me wrong. I’m enjoying the new developments within Pro Tools and people use Pro Tools for so many different things. But, MIDI editing is really big for songwriting and production.

I’m interested if anyone else feels the same way as I do. Also, does anyone have any suggestions or comments?

Thanks,
Cymian

Last edited by Cymian; 11-30-2023 at 10:25 PM. Reason: Providing more detail to title
Old 07-06-2023, 05:37 PM

Default Re: Adding Playlist View to MIDI Tracks

+1
Old 07-06-2023, 07:31 PM

+1

Mac Studio Ultra : 128GB RAM : Ventura 13.6 : Carbon : PT Ultimate 2023.12 : S1 : Metagrid Pro
Old 07-06-2023, 10:29 PM

That would be nice.
Do a quick search of the AVID Link>Lounges>Feature requests and vote it up if it's there.
Or post a request so others can thumbs up.

MIDI improvements might still be on the board.

Pro Tools Studio 2022.7|Windows 10 22H2|Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 (2nd Gen)|Dell Inspiron 3650|Intel i5 6th gen|16GB RAM|Samsung T5 SSD's|Hitachi|Touro HDD

Toontrack EZdrummer 3|Steven Slate Drums 5.5 + Blackbird Studio EX|Spectrasonics Trilian|Native Instruments Guitar Rig 6

Waves|SSL Native|Fabfilter|Softube|Soundtoys|Nomad Factory

Last edited by take77; 07-20-2023 at 09:04 PM.
Old 07-07-2023, 10:16 AM

Thanks for the advice take77. I found the topic in the lounge and re-posted my request. There has to be a bunch of people out there that would want this.
Old 07-07-2023, 10:38 AM

Who wouldn't want this? Seems so easy to implement imho.
Old 07-07-2023, 11:54 AM

Yes please.
Old 07-09-2023, 07:17 PM

Instruments need this as well

Last edited by chompers2022; 07-09-2023 at 07:44 PM.
Old 07-12-2023, 11:00 PM

I've been wishing for this since Pro Tools 8 when they added playlists to Audio tracks. This is one of the top feature requests I would love to see.
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Noisebox Studios -Utah Recording Studio
Old 07-14-2023, 11:23 AM

I can promise you this one is in the pipeline and since midi has not received much love in recent PT updates, I suspect that to change(based on history). Fingers crossed, but have faith

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave