Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-2006, 12:54 PM

Default Re: Shuffle mode

Oh yyyyyyeeeeesssssss!!!!!!!!!!! I vote for this too.

It's a must.

mike
Old 06-11-2006, 02:49 PM

Default Re: Shuffle mode

Shuffle mode really needs to be reworked.
There are other workflows besides editing music and post.
When working on long form monologues for radio broadcast and audio books you need to work from both directions.

Put me down for Shuffle in both directions (selectable option+) and single key edit in Shuffle.
Edit mode lock option is fine.
Old 06-11-2006, 06:18 PM

Default Re: petition for a lock-out mode for TCE trimmer tool

I don't know if this works or not, but have you tried taking the TCE plug-in out of the plug-ins folder?
If it isn't in there, then the trimmer tool doesn't have any means to do the TCE...
Just a thought...

I hate that damn thing... although I did use it twice last week when I was doing some gnarly very rough editing work...
time compression expansion is pretty lame in general with the digi algorithm... Serato and Waves aren't much better... Apparently more elastic audio (ala ableton live / sony acid) are on the way in future pro tools revisions... hopefully they'll find a way to implement it that won't involve the trimmer which is used way too frequently to get it all bundled up with the special purpose time compression junk...
Old 06-13-2006, 10:00 PM

Quote:
I don't know if this works or not, but have you tried taking the TCE plug-in out of the plug-ins folder?
If it isn't in there, then the trimmer tool doesn't have any means to do the TCE...
Just a thought...

I hate that damn thing... although I did use it twice last week when I was doing some gnarly very rough editing work...
time compression expansion is pretty lame in general with the digi algorithm... Serato and Waves aren't much better... Apparently more elastic audio (ala ableton live / sony acid) are on the way in future pro tools revisions... hopefully they'll find a way to implement it that won't involve the trimmer which is used way too frequently to get it all bundled up with the special purpose time compression junk...

I wouldn't want to do that, as I do often need to use the tce trimmer. It is invaluable for editing ADR and for many things. I disagree that the digi algorithm is lame. In my experience, the different time compression and pitch tools all have their strengths. The digi one is quite good for dialog, when used sparingly. Serato is awesome for FX and some musical bits, and the graphing mode, where you can affect something over time is invaluable. I use waves, digi and serato regularly. The one that I have yet to find a use for is Speed, by wave mechanics. Every time I have attempted to alter audio with this plug I have cursed it and hit undo immediately.

www.tompaul.com
Old 06-14-2006, 12:27 AM

Quote:
I am often slowed down in working by accidentally time-compression/expansion (tce) trimming a region, when I simply wanted to trim it. I then have to undo and switch tool modes. I am starting a petition to let our friends at digi with the propeller hats on, know that it would be great to have a preference to turn off the multiple modes, or if one needed to press a modifier key (better) to switch modes. I routinly switch tools using the function keys and very often a sequence of keystrokes call up a mode that I don't want.

anyone else think this is a good idea?

if so, please give this thread your support.

YES YES YES!!!!
Old 06-14-2006, 07:50 AM

i guess i wouldn't mind if it was an option to lock out.

I believe the ancient studio adage applies here in the meantime "Measure twice, cut once"

Old 11-06-2009, 11:49 AM

I concur, the loop trimmer should be designed to be locked-out...or at least require a qualifier key to implement...IT'S A ROYAL PAIN IN THE BUTT !!!!
Old 11-06-2009, 12:34 PM

but you see ... this thread is 3.5 years old and still nothing has happened

it´s absolutely ridiculous, that in a recording session the main recording DAW is the slowest one compared to all other DAW´s, far far slower

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIA...Rnu0Jfh-YsgftQ
Old 11-06-2009, 06:04 PM

I know it would be nice for PT to do this, but locking out the TCE tool is very easily achieved using Quickeys.

I just programmed F6 (stealing it from PT) to first choose the zoom tool (Command-1) then choose the trim tool (Command-2) and wait for .3 seconds.

This way every time I press F6 (standard PT shortcut for the trim tool) I only get the standard trim tool.

To choose another trim mode you would have to click on the tool itself and choose normally.

A similar lock can be implemented for shuffle too. You can force slip mode if the shortcut for shuffle is used.

A pain but it works.

Osman
Old 11-07-2009, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prophonic View Post
I know it would be nice for PT to do this, but locking out the TCE tool is very easily achieved using Quickeys.

I just programmed F6 (stealing it from PT) to first choose the zoom tool (Command-1) then choose the trim tool (Command-2) and wait for .3 seconds.

This way every time I press F6 (standard PT shortcut for the trim tool) I only get the standard trim tool.

To choose another trim mode you would have to click on the tool itself and choose normally.

A similar lock can be implemented for shuffle too. You can force slip mode if the shortcut for shuffle is used.

A pain but it works.

Osman
That's actually brilliant!!!!