Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2006, 08:12 PM

Default petition for a lock-out mode for TCE trimmer tool

I am often slowed down in working by accidentally time-compression/expansion (tce) trimming a region, when I simply wanted to trim it. I then have to undo and switch tool modes. I am starting a petition to let our friends at digi with the propeller hats on, know that it would be great to have a preference to turn off the multiple modes, or if one needed to press a modifier key (better) to switch modes. I routinly switch tools using the function keys and very often a sequence of keystrokes call up a mode that I don't want.

anyone else think this is a good idea?

if so, please give this thread your support.

www.tompaul.com
Old 06-08-2006, 09:51 PM

Default Re: petition for a lock-out mode for TCE trimmer tool

I agree completely. My choice would be for two check boxes in the preferences. One would make the Shuffle mode only availible to the mouse clicking on the button and not the hot keys. And the other would make the xtra tool modes (like the TCE trimmer) available to the mouse dropdown only and not the hotkeys. Then people could choose for themselves. I've been asking for this for years.

STeve
Old 06-08-2006, 11:19 PM

Default Re: petition for a lock-out mode for TCE trimmer t

YES!!!!!!

I HATE that tool. I never use it. I know it has a use, but I too keep accidentally selecting it. In fact, I'd like to lock out the new grabber tools too, to lock in the original set that I'm used to.

Digi, please consider this, the ability to lock out those tools, so that Apple-3 no longer cycles between them if you accidentally hit it twice in a row.
Old 06-09-2006, 09:08 AM

People have been asking for this for years now. I'd love to see it in PT 7.2. In a thread above, Shuffle mode is going to be lockable. Why not the Trim tool?
Peace,
Brandon
Custom Build CPU, HDX 1, Omni, 192 I/O Digital
S6 M10 24 fader
Satellite Mac Pro, HDNative, 192 I/0
Black Magic HD Extreme
Old 06-09-2006, 09:38 AM

I want to be able to trim in shuffle mode using A&S in commands focus.

BTW, we will all be sent to the principal's office for violation of terms of use..."no petitions"

Old 06-09-2006, 09:53 AM

Lockable TCE trim and shuffle on by default. Then your intern who is learning to edit won't throw the drum edits off by 40 samples, then you realize it too late...
Old 06-09-2006, 11:24 AM

Quote:
I want to be able to trim in shuffle mode using A&S in commands focus.
Command+T as well.
Old 06-10-2006, 11:39 PM

Quote:
I am often slowed down in working by accidentally time-compression/expansion (tce) trimming a region, when I simply wanted to trim it. I then have to undo and switch tool modes. I am starting a petition to let our friends at digi with the propeller hats on, know that it would be great to have a preference to turn off the multiple modes, or if one needed to press a modifier key (better) to switch modes. I routinly switch tools using the function keys and very often a sequence of keystrokes call up a mode that I don't want.

anyone else think this is a good idea?

if so, please give this thread your support.
YES!!! I started a thread about this exact thing in the post section a couple of weeks ago. I'd like the same ability with the grabber tool. Digi, please give us a small matrix window or something (or at least new modifier keys to invoke the other tools). Also, an option to lose / turn off the Smart Tool. I hate that damn thing.

Also, I vote for a "Pan window follows uppermost track selection" option (not to hijack, couldn't help it).

S.
Old 06-11-2006, 05:15 AM

I'd love to be able to lock the edit mode, although I've learned to constantly check if I'm (accidentally) in SHUFFLE.

I think something as simple as CMD-Click on the edit mode button to lock it in would do the trick.

A modifier key to switch from TRIM to TC/E would also be swell.

And while we're modifying, how about a mod key (at least in "Smart-Tool" mode) to temporarily switch to PENCIL?

Ray
Old 06-11-2006, 11:45 AM

Default Re: Shuffle mode

My idea for a safer use of the Shuffle mode is to have an option in the preferences for "return to Grid or Slip after Shuffle edit".

Whenever I use Shuffle, it is usually to edit a song. I never make two consecutive edits in Shuffle mode, but rather switch to Slip or Grid following the makor Shuffle edit.

Izhar