Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018

Old 04-13-2018, 04:41 PM

Default Pro Tools Ultimate CPU Spikes.. come on!!!!

I’m running a Mac Pro 5,1 12 core machine with 64 gig of ram, and HD native PCIe with three HD I/O on Sierra with Protools 2018.4

My Client commented on clicks/ artefacts whilst recording an acoustic guitar (stereo track to a click) Today, it's my first day running this version, having build a new OS drive.

I did further investigations..

The session is 24 bit 96kHz, with no audio playing, just moving the cursor around rapidly the blank session causes spikes over 75%, with heavy movement it goes red.

This is a buffer size of 128.

I have my old Yosemite disc with Pro Tools 12.8.1 to boot into for comparison.

In the same situation, Yosemite, I get no issue with any spiking, so it rules out any hardware issue, it feels/and is very powerful. In the same way, I record 24 tracks at 96k 128 buffer and can punch in with no spikes to the CPU

I’ve just renewed my subscription for another year.. but again forced to use a 2017 version of PT’s even though all my hardware is supported/qualified.

Any thoughts?
Old 04-13-2018, 05:59 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools Ultimate CPU Spikes.. come on!!!!

This might be the worst version of PT yet. I can't even get my sessions to open. How they manage to fill a working software with bugs is beyond me.
Old 04-13-2018, 07:01 PM

..and as always troubleshooting needs to start looking at *your* plugin setup.

Posting complaints about any release of Pro Tools without being clear what troubleshooting you have tried really does not give anybody useful information.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 04-13-2018 at 07:28 PM.
Old 04-13-2018, 07:25 PM

From what the OP describes, I suspect the new OS is not happy with the graphics card, the mouse driver, or both

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 04-14-2018, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
..and as always troubleshooting needs to start looking at *your* plugin setup.

Posting complaints about any release of Pro Tools without being clear what troubleshooting you have tried really does not give anybody useful information.
Please! This Issue is with a session with no plugins, just one, single stereo audio track.
Old 04-14-2018, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolz View Post
Please! This Issue is with a session with no plugins, just one, single stereo audio track.

Hi,

Plugins don't have to be in the session to cause issues. All plugins are loaded into the cache when loading and can cause issues if they are not compatible/out of date.

But does sound like a hardware issue as mentioned.

Did you do a completely fresh install on Sierra or update from your Yosemite install?

Why not use high sierra? or at least try it.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 04-14-2018, 01:15 AM

Quote:
(Actually I was replying to the post after yours, and Dave's comments may apply to your situation more) But still... you need to do some basic troubleshooting, starting at the help us help you link up the top of this web page.

---

More general comment on plugins:

If you want to work with Pro Tools effectively you really need to get beyond this level of confusion. As Chris pointed out, plugins may just need to be installed to cause problems. Dropping all plugins out of Pro Tools to do that test takes *minutes*. This is really basic stuff,... you need to go thought the standard troubleshooting steps.

All of us all choose to work with DAWs with extensive third party plugins, and all DAWS effectively 'bare their souls' to the plugins, which can mess up proper operation in so many ways. No vendor is able to test every permutation of plugins with every version of plugins and DAW etc. So it's unfortunately reasonable to *suspect* plugins and try to troubleshoot them, especially when many other user here are not complaining about similar problem.
Old 04-14-2018, 02:35 AM

I got spikes after trying out of dates Waves plugs, so anything can happen just by installing something that isn't quite compatible... it would be the time Avid put this info somewhere all users must read it
Old 04-14-2018, 08:18 AM

Quote:
... the blank session causes spikes over 75%, with heavy movement it goes red....

Any thoughts?
As others have said, lots of troubleshooting to do, plug in issues are a possibility (you should try running with all but essential plugins removed from the plugin folder), but curious if you might have tried turning hyperthreading off? Also, do you have an eye on Activity Monitor while looking at this?

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6
Old 04-14-2018, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
(Actually I was replying to the post after yours, and Dave's comments may apply to your situation more) But still... you need to do some basic troubleshooting, starting at the help us help you link up the top of this web page.

---

More general comment on plugins:

If you want to work with Pro Tools effectively you really need to get beyond this level of confusion. As Chris pointed out, plugins may just need to be installed to cause problems. Dropping all plugins out of Pro Tools to do that test takes *minutes*. This is really basic stuff,... you need to go thought the standard troubleshooting steps.

All of us all choose to work with DAWs with extensive third party plugins, and all DAWS effectively 'bare their souls' to the plugins, which can mess up proper operation in so many ways. No vendor is able to test every permutation of plugins with every version of plugins and DAW etc. So it's unfortunately reasonable to *suspect* plugins and try to troubleshoot them, especially when many other user here are not complaining about similar problem.
It's an identical situation with just core plugins installed, and everything else removed from the Plugins folder.