How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-18-2012, 11:42 AM

Default Beat Detective Quantization Issue

Hi there.

I'm currently trying to time correct drums tracks and am having a crippling issue with some imminent deadlines. Hope someone can help.

My drummer did a decent job, so most of the hits aren't too far off the grid, but I'd still like to tighten things up a bit. After I've established my trigger points and separated my clips, everything is normal.

My issue concerns the "Clip Conform" portion of the Beat Detective window. I proceed with 95% strength and a 4% swing and hit the button, and at first everything sounds alright. But as I continue to listen it's apparent that Beat Detective has stretched the tempo grid to the right slowly (continuously) and toward the end of the song, my tracks are off the actual grid by more than 3 beats. It's a nightmare trying to fix this because it's continually moving farther and farther out of sync. So, I'd have to move each hit individually to perfectly fix the problem.

I've tried messing with the conformity strength (0%-100%), the "Exclude Within" option, the "Swing" option, as well as the note value, Start / End Bar Beat, time signature, and nothing is making a difference for the better.

Not exactly sure how to trouble shoot this, any ideas?
Old 02-18-2012, 03:40 PM

Default Re: Beat Detective Quantization Issue

First, you didn't list any system or PT version info.

So I don't know if this is your problem or not, but in my experience, most issues with BD not working properly are user error and most often due to incorrectly setting the Selection start and end points. I would double check that the triggers of all your sections (I assume you separated in sections--for me 8 bars is my average length--going higher for really simple parts and lower as complexity increases) are accurate.
.: Pro Tools Certified Instructor
.: Pro Tools Expert Certified in Music
Old 02-18-2012, 06:02 PM

Default Re: Beat Detective Quantization Issue

Haha. Yeah, I guess I never got the memo on the less bars deal... It's worked until now, but I've been trying to quantize the entire 109 measure tune full of 16th note syncopation.

I'll give that a shot.

Thanks.