Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2012, 11:42 AM

Smile track Freeze in PT

A fluent user of Ableton live, i'm new with Pro tools after a friend of mine very active in major musical events and owner of one of the best recording studio in Montreal stated that PT was the de facto standard in pro audio.
I started using it for about a week and despite the fact that the interface is somehow sometimes disturbing, I can get around it and use it to get to where I need it to go, but, I was wondering... Is there a ''Freeze track'' option somewhere?, If not can we get around to more or less to the same result?
Anybody can help me on this one?
Thank you
Old 12-11-2012, 12:00 PM

Default Re: track Freeze in PT

Though it's not a "feature," per se, it can be, and is certainly recommended, to conserve CPU power.

Creat a new audio track. Set it's input to a bus (say Bus 1-2 if it's stereo). Then, on your instrument track, set the output to the same bus (1-2). Arm the audio track and hit record.

HP Pavilion P6000, AMD Athlon II X2 240 (2.8GHz), FOXCONN 2AB1 MoBo, 16GB DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce 8400GS, Two WD Caviar Black Internal500 gig, One WD External 300 Gig, Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit, SD2, Metal Foundry, Focusrite Saffire 6, PT 9.03 (stable), Gibson Les Paul Studio (Drop D), Fender Tele (nashville tuning), hand built Carvin Bolt (finished!)
Old 12-11-2012, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbkink View Post
A fluent user of Ableton live, i'm new with Pro tools after a friend of mine very active in major musical events and owner of one of the best recording studio in Montreal stated that PT was the de facto standard in pro audio.
I started using it for about a week and despite the fact that the interface is somehow sometimes disturbing, I can get around it and use it to get to where I need it to go, but, I was wondering... Is there a ''Freeze track'' option somewhere?, If not can we get around to more or less to the same result?
Anybody can help me on this one?
Thank you
Right CLick the mouse on the track name and you get an option for Making the track inactive.. I think that is what you want. As far as Bussing Instrument tracks to another audio track, that is a common thing I use for printing midi files to audio from the Instrument VI's themselves. Saw the response below yours and wanted to respond. g
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.6, DP 11.3.1, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS
Old 12-11-2012, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Creat a new audio track. Set it's input to a bus (say Bus 1-2 if it's stereo). Then, on your instrument track, set the output to the same bus (1-2). Arm the audio track and hit record.
you can also do this without creating any new trax.

bus each trak to itself,
rec arm them,
then while in quick punch hit play.

at the end hit record for an instant,
then trim back the underlying rendered track.

this way, you can do 'em all at once.
e
Old 12-11-2012, 04:11 PM

Thank you! What a great forum! I just posted an hour ago and already I received great useful responses. Thank you all!
Now, I understand the idea of freezing tracks so you can save cpu, a great idea, in Ableton Live (sorry if I quote the DAW where I have more experience, when you freeze a track with all the plugins, either an instrument or an audio track, it renders the track as, you are right, a recorded mixdown of the original track, but if you want to let's say change a few parameters on that track, you can unfreeze it and you can have it back to it's original state.
Now in Pro Tools, I could do a ''mixdown'' of my track to a new audio track, and then just leave the original inactive, and hide it from the main window.
Would that be the best way of doing this ''freezing'' of track ( we canadians are experts at freezing!) or is there another or better way?
Thank you again!
Old 12-11-2012, 04:17 PM

Thank you!!
Old 12-11-2012, 04:20 PM

Would you loose your original track as a rendered one with all the effects and plugins printed, or could you get back to the original if needed?
Thank you for your interest
Old 12-11-2012, 05:50 PM

As long as you don't delete the original track, you never lose it. You can also re-activate it if you need to(say, to make some changes and then re-print it to audio).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 12-11-2012, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
As long as you don't delete the original track, you never lose it. You can also re-activate it if you need to(say, to make some changes and then re-print it to audio).
Thank you! And I love your comment on digital audio!
Old 12-11-2012, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Would you loose your original track as a rendered one with all the effects and plugins printed, or could you get back to the original if needed?
shoulda mentioned in my above post to duplicate your playlist first,
that way you always have access to all your trax, before & after...
e