Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 02-25-2005, 10:56 AM

Default switching noises, sample rate changes, oxidation

Hi

Help!!!

Im using a 002rack plugged into a firewire drive then into a titanium g4 laptop running os 10.3.3

Everything has been working fine for the last few months but in the last few days the 002 has been making switching noises that I hear coming from inside the unit(not in the audio chain).

The sample rate lights on the front change, sometimes all of them go off and sometimes it reverts to 44k

This can happen with no firewire cables connected to the unit so I think its a problem with the unit rather than software.

The only thing connected to the unit is its power supply and analog outputs to speakers

There are no digital cables connected

When I open a protools session (v6.4) I can sometimes get the following warnings:

"Unable to locate Digidesign hardware. Make sure your hardware is connected and turned on. Click OK when the hardware is ready"

Sometimes I manage to get past this stage and open a session

After opening a session and playing it for a bit I can get this warning:

"ProTools cannot communicate with Digi002, Please reconnect the unit and press OK."

and I have got this warning too while a session is open:

"ProTools was not able to reacquire the hardware and must now exit. Would you like to save the session before ProTools exits?"

Has anyone else found this problem?

I just spoke to a DD dealer on the phone who said "Oh thats a power problem, its a sort of oxidation of the power cable or connector from the power input of the unit to the cards inside"

I couldnt believe it!!!

So my 002 has rusted enough that it wont work or allow me to work???!!!! *&$#;;;

And Digidesign are shipping units like this??

I asked the guy how long it takes to fix and he said 2 days and then I told him where I had bought it and he said "Oh we cant touch it then, digidesign dont want us to. You will have to bring it back to where you bought it from"

Im going to have to ship it to Thomann in Germany but I would prefer to get a replacement rather than a repair or else find out how to repair it myself so I can get on with my work.

Any help or ideas would be great

Thanks for reading.
Old 02-25-2005, 01:02 PM

Default Re: switching noises, sample rate changes, oxidation

From what I understand, if you ask nicely.... Digi will send you a new Power supply harness, and instructions on how to change it, without having to "Bring it in"

I may be way off here, give them a call, But I'm fairly certain i have read of that happening in here.

- MacPro 6,1 Intel Xeon E5 2.7 GHz 12-Core 128 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
- HDX II Sonnet xMacPro Server
- 16x16 HD i/o x 6
- PT 2018.10
- OS X 10.14.4
- ProTools Dock / PT Control
Old 02-25-2005, 01:53 PM

Default Re: switching noises, sample rate changes, oxidation

Wow, if I ask them really, really nicely perhaps they could send me a spare day and a half to replace the time spent figuring out what the hell was going on with their new box!!!

;-)

Bring back alpha and beta testing I say, and the rest of the greek alphabet just in case!!!
Old 02-25-2005, 03:52 PM

Default Re: switching noises, sample rate changes, oxidati

It's unfortunate if you've lost some time, but it's such a common problem that it's instantly recognized here on the DUC, and there's high probably you can get it working again in about 15 minutes. Just open the unit, unplug and replug (several times) each connector on the harness that distributes DC from the power supply to the various boards.

It's regrettable that Digidesign apparently hasn't fixed this, but it's really only a minor inconvenience.

Old 02-25-2005, 04:35 PM

Default Re: switching noises, sample rate changes, oxidati

its a major annoyance and something I dont need

why dont they ship the replacement with the unit instead of me having to go seaching the web and phoning people to find out.

I dont want to have to spend a day per week reading posts to the DUC just to keep up with the problems there are - I have work I have to do

why isnt there a pdf on the digi site that explains the problems and shows you what to do?

Most of us have opened computers to install ram or cards or hard drives so I cant be too hard to show the solution to us in a pdf???

Does a document exist?