Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 11-18-2015, 08:10 AM

Default Re: Backups

Terry, if you just set it up as I explained in my email you will be fine. It sounds like you've set it to backup to DVD. You only need to use a full image to a separate hard drive from the one you're trying to backup. And the free version would have been fine for what you want to do, certainly as a trial. If you installed the free version and then bought the full version, you will need to uninstall the free version before installing the paid version, that's what Macrium Support told me.

If you need me to resend the email I can.

Cheers,
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Old 11-18-2015, 09:56 AM

Thanks for the response Bruce. It's like I told you, I need to know why I'm doing something in order to understand how the pieces fit together. I believe that I did set it up as you explained and it appears to be working. I just want to know what the disks that are asked for in the first part of the imaging instructions are for. Also, how often should I burn a recovery disk to keep as a safety, assuming that the disk would work to reboot windows. I hope my confusion isn't upsetting you and thanks again.
Old 11-19-2015, 06:30 AM

Terry, I'm really not sure what the program is asking for. If you could email me a screen shot of the dialogue box, that would help.

The only CD needed would be to make a rescue disk and you only need to do that once for each version of the program. For example, if you install v6.0, then you would make a recue disk for that version. If you subsequently install an update/upgrade to the program, then you would make a new rescue disk for the new version. And every time you make a rescue disk you should boot from it to make sure it will indeed boot into the Macrium interface before Windows.

If you did set up MR6F as per my instructions, then you should have a shortcut icon on your desktop that starts an XML script. When you click the shortcut icon, this script should start Macrium and instruct it to do the following:

- Look in the folder on your backup hard drive that you are backing up to and delete the oldest of the two full images in there.

- Create a new full image of the hard drive you are backing up.

- Verify the new full backup.

- Shutdown your computer.

If this is not happening and Macrium is instead asking for DVDs, then you haven't pointed it at the folder, but rather your DVD drive.

HTH

Bruce
Old 11-19-2015, 08:26 AM

I believe what he is talking about is when Macrium prompts you to "Create Rescue Media" or something like that. IIRC it's to create a bootable CD/DVD/USB that you can boot from to restore images. I don't use it because I am running Reflect on several machines and can pop the drives onto one of those and restore.
Old 11-19-2015, 09:38 AM

I think so too, but if he updated/upgraded Macrium I believe he'll be prompted to create a new Rescue Disk.

BTW, Macrium is the best backup program I've used. Basically set and forget.

Cheers,
Old 11-19-2015, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Weed View Post
I think so too, but if he updated/upgraded Macrium I believe he'll be prompted to create a new Rescue Disk.

BTW, Macrium is the best backup program I've used. Basically set and forget.

Cheers,
FWIW, I am using the free downloaded version, and my install on Windows 7 was easy as pie(not sure if I downloaded both from the same source).

Terry, you might check a couple of things.
#1-open Macrium and look for something like "settings" or "preferences" to see if its defaulted to doing a bunch of automatic stuff(and turn that stuff off).
#2-open Services(Right-click on MyComputer>select Manage> in the next window, click on Services and applications(left column)>Services, and look down the list for anything named "Macrium.....". If it says automatic(4th column), Double-click on the Name, hit the STOP button and where it says Automatic, change that to Manual. That should stop the program from trying to do anything you don't instruct it to do.

The better I drink...the more I mix.....

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 11-19-2015, 10:08 PM

Terry, come on back and clarify if Macrium is asking you to create a rescue disk when you open the main console. There is, or should be, a check box to not ask again, although, as I mentioned, Macrium Support recommends creating a new rescue disk when Macrium Reflect is updated/upgraded. Then again, if you have and use a shortcut icon to start your backups, Macrium's main console shouldn't be opening up.

Cheers,

Last edited by The Weed; 11-20-2015 at 07:08 AM.
Old 11-20-2015, 07:28 AM

Thanks Bruce, (The Weed). I am answering you as opposed to answering each reply since you and I started this adventure together. I do thank everyone who is trying to help. To recap: I originally bought the free version of Macrium but then went to the full version 6. When I downloaded ver.6, I assumed that it overwrote,(I.E.), updated the software. (Right Or wrong)?. I do have an Icon on my desktop as you mentioned. I don't know how to do a screen shot! I redid the backup process for the full version but did not burn a backup disk. The only one I have is the one I burned when I installed the free version and I'm not sure that I did that correctly. All I can tell you is that my pc is telling me that I have files waiting to be burned to disk and I don't know if the files are a result of the free version or the full version,(?). I think my best bet now is to remove all Macrium from my pc, download the full version again, create another image disk with the full version and go from there, that is if My Macrium account will permit another download?. Please let me know if you are in agreement. Rather than continuing this Q & A here on the DUC I would prefer to just use e-mail. Thanks and please advise if you agree.
Old 11-20-2015, 09:57 AM

Terry, email is fine.

Yes a complete uninstall, reboot, use of CCleaner or similar and a reinstall of Macrium would be my first suggestion.

Since you bought the full version, I'm pretty sure you get support from Macrium. You may want to use that too.

If your computer says it has files ready to burn, I'm not sure that has anything to do with Macrium.

There should be a key on your keyboard labeled "PrntScr" or similar. When you have the dialogue on the screen that you want someone to see, push that key, then paste the picture into a Word file and email the file or just paste it into an email directly.

Cheers,
Old 11-21-2015, 05:31 AM

OK Bruce. Good to know that I am starting to comprehend. I'm not sure what CCleaner is but I'll Google it or something. When I'm satisfied that I'm ready to start over I'll go through the disk imaging process again and hopefully I won't need to bother you again. Thanks for your patience.