Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 06-03-2015, 03:19 PM

Default Issue with video engine just started today. ***FIXED***

Hello.

I am in the middle of a web series and my video playback stopped working today for no rhyme or reason.

I had trouble with the video engine, as in it didn't work, in previous versions of PT11. However, when 11.3.1 was released, my issue was resolved and I was able to play video.

Now, forwards to today, I opened up one of my most recent episodes I am working on and I got the video engine hangup once again. Nothing has changed at all on my computer, I haven't updated anything, no new parts, nothing. I have tried opening all my sessions with video files and they all do the same thing. "Timeout while trying to connect to the Avid Video Engine"

I have followed the instructions as per this link , and it still does not work. It was working fine for the passed couple of months, and then today... BAM. Doesn't want to work.

I am at a loss. Do I need to go back to 11.0 and start over fresh? Any other thoughts?

I am running a 6 core mac, 32gb ram, osx 10.9.3, PT 11.3.1

Last edited by thesoundbros; 06-16-2015 at 06:11 PM. Reason: Changed title so people will know the problem has been resolved.
Old 06-04-2015, 11:25 AM

Well, I went back to 11.0 with no luck. I guess I will try loading a time machine back-up from a few days ago and see if that works. Will report back.
Old 06-04-2015, 11:45 AM

Already trashed your prefs per the troubleshooting guide?

On occasion I've had luck with disabling the video track and re-enabling it. Sounds stupid but have you tried rebooting the computer? I've had video engine problems spontaneously appear in the middle of sessions, tried closing PT and reopening the session, and no dice. But, rebooting the computer did the trick.

I'm on 11.3.1 on OSX 10.9.5.
Old 06-04-2015, 04:01 PM

Yes, I just deleted my prefs again to make sure. Restarted the computer, still nothing.

I can still open my sessions with the video track offline, but when I try to enable it, the 'Connecting to Avid Video Engine' window pops up. The bar loads all the way, then it displays the error message "timeout while trying to connect to AVE".

I am stumped about what could have caused this. I also just tried recalling a time machine backup from last week when the video engine was working. Others have had success with that but I did not.
Old 06-05-2015, 09:44 AM

I've had such better luck than so many people I know and on here, I feel for you guys. I still have the occasional problem but it seems as though my rig has gotten to the point where restarting PT or the computer will get the session running again.

Anyhoo, I'm just shooting in the dark here now. Have you updated Quicktime recently? Are you updated to the latest version of QT?

Also, what is the format of the video files you are using?

Best of luck, I know how big of a bummer it can be to be in the middle of a project and be SOL on a show-stopper problem.
Old 06-05-2015, 01:16 PM

I have v10.3 of QuickTime. I checked for an update but could not find any online or in the app store. I'm not sure if its the most recent or not. Of all the projects I've been working on this spring, I have been sent .mp4's and .mov's, both of which have worked fine. They have also all be using the h264 codec. Maybe converting the files would help?

I am not totally out of luck, as I can bounce all my audio into stems, and just use LPX, which works fine. I hate to do that though, my workflow is so much better in PT.
Old 06-05-2015, 04:50 PM

Default Re: Issue with video engine just started today. Help

H.264 is dodgy. They run "ok" for me, with the occasional video engine dropout, usually the "Pro Tools could not create thumbnails..." error, or the video will just freeze up during playback while the audio still plays. In those cases, stopping the transport and restarting playback usually gets the video rolling again. Total pain in the ass during ADR sessions.

PT always likes to see a .mov container vs. a .mp4 container, so try to get your clients to give you .mov exports. And of course, there is always the approved codec list. Try getting your editors to adhere to it.

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...r-Pro-Tools-11

As you can see, the H.264 listing is followed by (Performance may vary).

Oh yeah, I forgot...I've also had some success with these problems by removing the video file and re-importing it. I haven't had a video engine issue in a while so I'd be interested to see if this works for anyone else.

Have you updated back up to 11.3.1 yet after having rolled back to 11? Regarding the QT version, use "Software Update" from the Apple menu to see if QT is up to date.
Old 06-05-2015, 08:11 PM

Yes, I am back to 11.3.1. I've tried deleting and reimporting the video into all my sessions, no luck. I even tried importing different videos into new sessions, all with the same outcome.

I ran software update, the only things that it gave me were iTunes, and upgrading to Yosemite.
Old 06-06-2015, 01:41 AM

Dang, bummer man. I'm out of ideas at this point, hopefully someone else with the same issues as you can chime in here. The clean install route is always an option, but I know how time consuming that can be.

The only other thing I can think of is that I did install the latest Avid LE Codec Pack a few months back, even though by it's description it really has nothing to do with the operation of Pro Tools. If you are still stuck it's worth a shot. I believe this is the one I installed.

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...3-9&popup=true

Best of luck with your issues and with your work!
Old 06-06-2015, 01:43 AM

Oh, and one more question...are any of the drives you are working off of formatted as anything other than Mac OS Journaled? I've had all kinds of issues trying to work off of drives formatted FAT32 or exFAT.