Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2017, 12:42 AM

Default Help me with HD OMNI please

Hey guys
I've had changed my audio int. to Avid Omni using a HD Native PCI using a win 8.1 on one system and 10 on another ,
they are working inside both DAWs I use ( PT 12.5 and Cubase 9), Here is the but :
I have no sound at all inside windows while im not using DAWs.
I have two different system and bith have the same issue
1- running win 10 on a Core I 7 6850 Ram 64 on a x99 Asus MB &
2- running win 8.1 on a core i7 3770 Ram 32 on PA 67 Giga MB.
when I go to sound setting I see 4 HD Audio Device ( in the PLAYBACK tab ) but they are Enables and turned off some how ! I can disable them but after re enabling they are still turned off . Can you guys help me with it ?!
Old 04-25-2017, 03:31 PM

Default Re: Help me with HD OMNI please

Sadly, your best move(on ALL Windows systems) is to set Windows Sound Properties to NOT use the Avid hardware as its default playback device. Doing this allows Pro Tools to use the hardware without any kind of conflict(like; you can't change sample rate). There are plenty of solutions to hearing Windows sounds(anything EXCEPT Pro Tools audio), such as:
1-Connect separate speakers to the computer sound card output.
2-Run a cable from the computer output to some LINE inputs of the Omni(Omni is SUPPOSED to be able to monitor all of its available inputs, despite only allowing 8 inside a Pro Tools session).
3-If the computer has a digital output(my last 4 have), run optical SPDIF to the Omni(as in #2 but a digital signal is likely to sound much better than the mini-TRS analog output).
4-get a monitor/source switcher like Presonus Central Station, Dangerous 2-Mix or Mackie Big Knob and feed the Omni outputs thru it for PT, and also connect the computer audio.

I use the Central Station and feed my computer's optical SPDIF to it. Hit 1 button to listen to youtube, hit another button to listen to Pro Tools I also do some other handy stuff, but the basics are what matter to you at this point in time

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 04-26-2017, 11:44 AM

Hey again
Thanks For replying and taking the time to answer.
I pretty much got every thing you said , But let me make sure ....
I was using a digi 002 and oo3 and I could listen to protools and my windows with the same hardware !
they upgraded the hardware and now I cant !!!!
that just doesnt make any sence .
I heard there is some kind of a core audio manager for Apple users , is there anything similar for windows?
I was reading the 12.7 updates and some were saying this issue has been resolved . is that right ?
I mean , come on ! it doesnt make sence to use your Protools and mix and master a project and when you wanna listen to your exports and compare them , you cant listen to them with the same monitor and ....
please tel me I'm wrong and there is another way to do that or im gonna have to write a long letter to Avid Technical support and explain the way an ALL IN ONE is suppose to work
Old 04-26-2017, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xexina View Post
they upgraded the hardware and now I cant !!!!
Correct

Quote:
that just doesnt make any sence .
that's irrelevant, that's what they do and they way they do it.

Quote:
I heard there is some kind of a core audio manager for Apple users , is there anything similar for windows?
No there isn't and the crux of the issue is that Avid states the correct way to set it up is they way we have presented to you.

Quote:
I was reading the 12.7 updates and some were saying this issue has been resolved . is that right ?
For Mac yes....it is somewhat resolved...I am not 100% sure.

Quote:
I mean , come on ! it doesnt make sence to use your Protools and mix and master a project and when you wanna listen to your exports and compare them , you cant listen to them with the same monitor and ....
you can with a simple aux out of your computer (SPDIF, ADAT, ect.) into the OMNI.

Quote:
or im gonna have to write a long letter to Avid Technical support and explain the way an ALL IN ONE is suppose to work
Feel free to write them, but I wouldn't get your hopes up as it making a difference. This is not even on their radar.....this is not even close to being a big deal for them.
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 04-26-2017, 12:32 PM

Thanks for answering every singles one of them.
I will do as you said ...
but im wondering: is that what you are saying : its not really important to listen to them after exporting with the similar Hardware, monitor and etc?
Old 04-26-2017, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Thanks for answering every singles one of them.
I will do as you said ...
but im wondering: is that what you are saying : its not really important to listen to them after exporting with the similar Hardware, monitor and etc?
Not sure what you are asking here. If you use a digital output of the computer into a digital input of the Omni, it should sound the same(equal quality). You may also need to adjust(in Windows Sound Properties) so the volume matches the volume of your Pro Tools sessions. And yes, the 002 and 003 did allow sharing in SOME versions of Pro Tools, but it has also NOT worked in many other versions, which is why I came up with my work-around

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 04-27-2017, 08:52 PM

I tried what you said and it worked pretty dam good , the result is 90% similar to the original which is pretty damn good.
about what you mentioned : I have had 002and 003 bith for a long time , and used them on win XP to.....win 10 and never had any issue with them . the only reason I changed them was upgrading because even after Avid stopped supporting 002-003 I still had no problem using them with protools 12.5 and Cubase 9 and etc...
that was just my experience .
by the way I install 002 as the def. sound card on my system and then got an optical output out of 002 and connected it to the optical in , on omni and the omni is connectedto the HD Native card only for the time im using PT and Cubase and other DAWs.
anyway , Thanks for your help and all the info you shared with me :) I really appreciate it .
Old 05-02-2017, 12:59 PM

Quote:
I tried what you said and it worked pretty dam good , the result is 90% similar to the original which is pretty damn good.
about what you mentioned
Glad you got it....I know it's a pain compared to how it used to be hooked up but you just saved yourself a headache and Avid won't listen either way.

You have it hooked up the most reliable way at this point, guaranteed to not cause any issues.
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 12-21-2019, 09:42 PM

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...MNI&popup=true
Old 01-16-2020, 12:22 PM

On Windows, there is sadly no wdm driver for Avid HDX or HD Native...
On Mac, there is a core audio driver...

But there is a Workaround, if you need audio from your HDX or Native system. There is no need to give up any physical inputs of your omni...
its called VB-Audio Asio Bridge... and is donationware...

With this little helper you get a virtual WDM Audio Device in Windows, which you can select as audiodevice in windows. And then there is the Asio Bridge App... After starting the app, you can select the Avid Asio Driver and every signal from the selected virtual audio device will go into the asio bridge (avid asio driver). So you can use normal windows audio with HDX or HD Native Devices without using Protools or another daw...