Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2011, 10:08 AM

Default Simple Mixer for Eleven Rack and iPad / iPhone

I'm interested in using my iPhone and iPad to play jam tracks and audio from Guitar Pro tab files along with my Eleven Rack. I realize you can use Pro Tools for this, but sometimes it is just easier to fire up the iPhone or iPad and jam with it.

From searching around, there doesn't seem to be a very practical way to do this with the ER itself. I know you can run a splitter from the audio out of the iPad/iPhone into the mono inputs of the ER, but having to move the FX return on every rig and adjust the mix every time sounds like a pain.

I saw this small mixer on Amazon, and I wonder if it would be an easy way to use backing tracks, etc with between my iPhone/iPad and the ER. I'd be using Sennheiser HD 650 headphones with it as well, not monitors.

http://www.amazon.com/Mackie-402-VLZ...pr_product_top

I know next to nothing about mixers, but it seems this Mackie 402-VLZ3 will let me run the XLR outs from the Eleven Rack into input 1 and 2 on the mixer (with XLR to TRS cables), the audio signal from my iPad or iPhone to input 3 and 4(via a dock adapter to RCA jacks), blend the two signals to my liking, and plug in my headphones and go to town.

According to the manual for the mixer, the headphone out is plenty loud, but I can always run that signal to my headphone tube amp if it doesn't have enough juice to push my 650s.

Let me know what you more experienced folks think.

Thanks
Old 11-29-2011, 04:52 PM

Default Re: Simple Mixer for Eleven Rack and iPad / iPhone

That'll get the job done.