Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-03-2018, 12:42 PM

Default Re: Intel Processors- Mac and Win

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjslakeridge View Post
Better yet, disable your network adapter (if you don't need your PT rig on the internet), so they don't try to "slip in" an update, even if you have Windows set to defer updates.
I need my machine on the interwebz
If this proves to cause havoc with Pro Tools systems however, then I will be unplugging it for certain and will find another way to do the rest of my work.
Old 01-03-2018, 12:47 PM

I am posting this link just in case others can't unplug and want to control the updates:
How To Stop Windows from Automatically Installing Updates:
https://www.windowscentral.com/how-s...lly-windows-10

Last edited by gnjlee; 01-03-2018 at 12:48 PM. Reason: Missed the title.
Old 01-03-2018, 12:57 PM

That is a good link, but it does not apply to Windows 10 Home. I'm no expert, but my guess is Microsoft could bypass any settings you have made if they wanted to.

Edit: There is a thread over on Tom's Hardware about this also. Some seem to think the patch will be released for Windows machines next Tuesday. Also, AMD rigs may be affected by the patch, even though AMD cpus don't have the flaw.

https://www.techpowerup.com/240187/a...kernel-patches

Digi 002 rack , Command 8, Behringer ADA 8000, Tascam M-320B Mixer, Alesis Monitor Two Speakers, Vintage and Modern Tube Amps, Fender American Strat, 1973 Gibson SB-450 Bass, Epiphone Les Paul Traditional Pro, Roland W-30 Keyboard, Preimier XPK Fusion Drum Kit.

Last edited by mjslakeridge; 01-03-2018 at 01:05 PM. Reason: Added link
Old 01-03-2018, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjslakeridge View Post
That is a good link, but it does not apply to Windows 10 Home. I'm no expert, but my guess is Microsoft could bypass any settings you have made if they wanted to.

Edit: There is a thread over on Tom's Hardware about this also. Some seem to think the patch will be released for Windows machines next Tuesday. Also, AMD rigs may be affected by the patch, even though AMD cpus don't have the flaw.

https://www.techpowerup.com/240187/a...kernel-patches
Yeah you are correct and thanks for pointing that out. I don't ever use home edition because the product is purposely hobbled by Microsoft and priced accordingly for non professional uses. I assumed (yes I know what that means ) that nobody here would use that OS for a studio.

Microsoft does have the ability to bypass update preferences as they are only registry values, BUT they do so at the risk of massive backlash and litigation due to systems that must be tested before updates can occur. Computers like industrial control systems that are on the internet due to manufacturer requirements have in many cases actual life and death consequences as possible failure modes. It is HIGHLY unlikely Microsoft would ignore the registry settings. This is a major reason I stick to Pro or Enterprise version of Windows, because Microsoft caters specifically to business with those two versions.

Last edited by gnjlee; 01-03-2018 at 02:24 PM. Reason: Updated info
Old 01-03-2018, 02:23 PM

Last night my computer got the Microsoft Fall Update with many startup issues and weird behavior after, could it be that?
Old 01-03-2018, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amagras View Post
Last night my computer got the Microsoft Fall Update with many startup issues and weird behavior after, could it be that?
Are you in the fast ring? If not (if you don't know what this is you most likely are not), it is just crappy post update behavior. If you are getting errors when starting up, it may be incompatible programs automagically uninstalled during the update.
Old 01-03-2018, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnjlee View Post
Are you in the fast ring? If not (if you don't know what this is you most likely are not), it is just crappy post update behavior. If you are getting errors when starting up, it may be incompatible programs automagically uninstalled during the update.
Thanks, I was suspecting some of that but I wasn't sure. it's been working better in the last few hours but it still taking too long to boot, the welcome screen shows up in black for a lot longer.
Old 01-03-2018, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnjlee View Post
Yeah you are correct and thanks for pointing that out. I don't ever use home edition because the product is purposely hobbled by Microsoft and priced accordingly for non professional uses. I assumed (yes I know what that means ) that nobody here would use that OS for a studio.

Microsoft does have the ability to bypass update preferences as they are only registry values, BUT they do so at the risk of massive backlash and litigation due to systems that must be tested before updates can occur. Computers like industrial control systems that are on the internet due to manufacturer requirements have in many cases actual life and death consequences as possible failure modes. It is HIGHLY unlikely Microsoft would ignore the registry settings. This is a major reason I stick to Pro or Enterprise version of Windows, because Microsoft caters specifically to business with those two versions.
Domains and GPO's are a bit useless to my mixes!!

Here is a post I did awhile back on a couple apps that work great to block all Windows telemetry and have worked fine with Pro Tools.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 01-03-2018, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amagras View Post
Thanks, I was suspecting some of that but I wasn't sure. it's been working better in the last few hours but it still taking too long to boot, the welcome screen shows up in black for a lot longer.

What's the fast ring?
Check your disk activity light. The windows search service will frequently reindex the entire disk drive after a major update. That will cause slow behavior for hours or even days depending on how much data you have on your system. If you haven't been leaving your system on after upgrades, it might be a good idea.

I don't recommend the fast ring for systems that need stability, like ours. It is basically a way to get early releases of Windows 10 updates. These might and usually do have major bugs. Here is a link: https://insider.windows.com/en-us/getting-started/
Old 01-03-2018, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitardom View Post
Domains and GPO's are a bit useless to my mixes!!

Here is a post I did awhile back on a couple apps that work great to block all Windows telemetry and have worked fine with Pro Tools.
You don't like to have a domain controller for a DAW? HA!

Hey that is a really cool write-up and tool! Looks very handy. Cool of you guys to offer it on your page. That looks a lot easier and less frightening to use for people who are not comfortable twiddling the innards of Windows.