Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2012, 10:55 PM

Default This is insane help!!

Okay I have PT HD 10.0.1 Native OS X 10.7.2 Mac Pro 40 GIGS RAM 4 TB DATA, Avid HD I/O 16x16, etc.

I cannot understand this in Logic I can use 256 for buffer size no problem. When I use PT HD 10 I get error messages dropouts saying I need to increase my buffer size - well I started at 256 then 512 then 1024 then like 2000 whatever. IT STILL GAVE ME THE SAME ERROR MESSAGE. And get this I have 40 that rights 40 GIGS OF RAM (not to mention 4 TB's of hard drives) I have the 12 Core Processor Mac Pro its not as if I have some piss ant computer for god's sake 40 GIGS OF RAM! What is wrong? I should be doing 32 buffer size. I do want to add it gets worse when I add a lot of plugins to my tracks but its getting where I cannot complete a session or I cannot do summing mixing or even bouncing to disc. Please someone help me with this I cannot understand it. I'm using 36 gig's in PT, I have everything in the Playback Engine Menu at the very maximum there is no logical reason why this is happening. Furthermore it gets worse when my sample rate increases. I can barely do 96k so I'm forced to use 44.1k hell I want to use 192k with the money I put in this junk. Anyone out there I would appreciate it if you can tell me what to do.
Old 02-01-2012, 12:23 AM

Default Re: This is insane help!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Monkey View Post
Okay I have PT HD 10.0.1 Native OS X 10.7.2 Mac Pro 40 GIGS RAM 4 TB DATA, Avid HD I/O 16x16, etc.

I cannot understand this in Logic I can use 256 for buffer size no problem. When I use PT HD 10 I get error messages dropouts saying I need to increase my buffer size - well I started at 256 then 512 then 1024 then like 2000 whatever. IT STILL GAVE ME THE SAME ERROR MESSAGE. And get this I have 40 that rights 40 GIGS OF RAM (not to mention 4 TB's of hard drives) I have the 12 Core Processor Mac Pro its not as if I have some piss ant computer for god's sake 40 GIGS OF RAM! What is wrong? I should be doing 32 buffer size. I do want to add it gets worse when I add a lot of plugins to my tracks but its getting where I cannot complete a session or I cannot do summing mixing or even bouncing to disc. Please someone help me with this I cannot understand it. I'm using 36 gig's in PT, I have everything in the Playback Engine Menu at the very maximum there is no logical reason why this is happening. Furthermore it gets worse when my sample rate increases. I can barely do 96k so I'm forced to use 44.1k hell I want to use 192k with the money I put in this junk. Anyone out there I would appreciate it if you can tell me what to do.
Hi,

How many processors set for RTAS in the playback engine? it should be an ODD amount 1/3/5/7 etc. using even numbers will give CPU overload messages.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 02-01-2012, 01:13 AM

I'm not sure what you mean. I think its my Word Clock because the error message basically says Clocking Issue. As of now I'm ready to sell my whole studio use the 15 thousand dollars for something else and give up. I cannot even record AT ALL anymore. even at 1024 buffer nothing. I can barely open a session with about 3 tracks and a couple of plugins. This is a damn nightmare. I sumise AVID makes CRAPPY Master Clocks I know that my Symphony I/O worked fine. As it stands I either get an Antelope Master Clock or sell it all on ebay not that I'd really do that. I mean I hear guys running 30 tracks at a time I can't even do 4! for Christ sakes. I just can't stand the thought that I have spent thousands for what?? I can't even get the record going for more than a nanosecond immediately when I record it gives me the error message. The hell with Avid. Logic works fine. I can get down to 32 buffer on Logic (that was with my Symphony I/O which I sold). I am just completely disgusted with this whole damn thing.
Old 02-01-2012, 01:59 AM

Setup (menu) > Playback engine. How many host processors are you currently using? If it's set to maximum like you said in your initial post, then there could very well be a logical reason why this is happening.

What is the exact error message(s) you're getting?

PT is a 32-bit application, so only disk cache can access anything above the 4 GB limit.

Calm down. People are willing to help you if you keep it cool.
Old 02-01-2012, 04:56 AM

It pays to do a bit of homework and reading before going to any system, upgrading, whatever..

Chris asked you a very basic question and you replied that you had, "no idea". My guess is that you've done little to nothing to sort this out for yourself. Even a cursory search here would've turned up a number of threads regarding this and what folks have done to remedy their issues.

I'm not trying to stick a bee into your already over-caffeinated sensibilities, but you really should take a chill-pill and relax a bit. Read through some of the stickies here, some of the threads, do as Chris and Stig have suggested and you may find there's nothing wrong at all with your system.

Save your energy for the real problems....
What I found when I got there,
was that I couldn't stay away!

Hobo Shave!
Old 02-01-2012, 05:04 AM

wow.

explains a lot about this world we live in.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 02-01-2012, 03:24 PM

First off follow ALL the steps in the help us help you document linked at the top of every forum page. Turn off all the stuff that's not supposed to be on. Remove all unqualified plug ins from the plug in folder. Trash digisetup, dae prefs and pt prefs. Restart and repair disk permissions. Set your processor use to 17/24 or something like that...leave some juice for Lion. You should be able to get amazing performance but you have to set your system up properly. There is a 909x error issue in Hd native which is likely caused by plug ins but at the moment it's uncertain. Not everyone gets them and some more frequently than others. A bit of tweaking should get you to a point where the system performs extremely well even if you do get the odd error. They are working on it.

You might find that Lion causes you problems. I'm not sure. It's never great to be at the bleeding edge.
Old 02-01-2012, 05:40 PM

" They are working on it. "

Not to be nasty, or meant as any kind of cheap shot because I love PT...but....they have been "working on it" for literally two years at least based on what Digi used to say up here.

It does not appear like they have made much progress. It's a program that sometimes I marvel at how many tracks and plugs I can have running, while other times it balks at less tracks and less plug ins.

I am going to start making note of the lunar phases to see if there is a correlation.

TH
Old 02-02-2012, 01:39 AM

Well, to be fair to Avid, we all clamour for hundreds of third party plug ins, but they're not in direct control of those, and when they cause system problems it can take a lot of work with other companies to get to the bottom of it.