Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2018, 09:58 AM

Default Power supply replacement Mac Pro 5,1

Has anyone replaced (or had it replaced by Apple) the power supply on an older Mac Pro 5,1? I have the 2010 8-core 2.4GHz model. My power supply is doing that thing where sometimes pressing it is failing to boot the computer, you just hear a click. You need to hold it down to "power off", and try again, eventually it boots. As long as the computer stays on, it's fine. It seems to be a relatively common issue with these as they age.

If anyone has replaced it themselves, where's a good place to buy one for reasonable $$$?

If anyone has had it replaced Apple (recently and out of warranty obviously) what did it cost? I hate to go through the hassle of carrying this beast to my Apple Store if it's going to cost more than doing it myself.
Old 05-25-2018, 03:31 AM

Default Re: Power supply replacement Mac Pro 5,1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixChurchStreet View Post
Has anyone replaced (or had it replaced by Apple) the power supply on an older Mac Pro 5,1? I have the 2010 8-core 2.4GHz model. My power supply is doing that thing where sometimes pressing it is failing to boot the computer, you just hear a click. You need to hold it down to "power off", and try again, eventually it boots. As long as the computer stays on, it's fine. It seems to be a relatively common issue with these as they age.

If anyone has replaced it themselves, where's a good place to buy one for reasonable $$$?

If anyone has had it replaced Apple (recently and out of warranty obviously) what did it cost? I hate to go through the hassle of carrying this beast to my Apple Store if it's going to cost more than doing it myself.
If the experience I had last year with my iMac and getting the video card replaced by Apple (I'd already tried a local repair place with no joy) I'd say do the replacement yourself. First the expense - Apple wanted to charge me almost $700 for the card & replacement. And even then they couldn't guarantee me that the part going in was a new unused part. Combine that with the fact they would have boxed up the computer and sent it out to a repair depot of theirs so I would have been without the machine for almost a month. They also wanted FileVault turned on and I didn't and don't run with that on.

I'd look online for a replacement - maybe OWC has one. Do keep in mind that some places that have parts for the older machines have scavenged those older machines for parts. IOW - you may not be getting a new unused part. Apple generally will not sell parts to individual people or non-Apple affiliated businesses.

QAPLA!