Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11

Old 01-10-2015, 09:47 AM

Default Re: What 3rd Party Inerfaces work with LLM?

Here is what the Focusrite mixer does:

"The Mixer Section is used to create mixes for monitoring purposes. The mixes you create do not affect how the audio inputs are routed to the DAW, nor does it affect the audio level of the signal to be recorded. What you set up in the mixer section of Saffire MixControl only affects what is heard in the outputs.

The Input recording levels that are sent to the DAW are therefore those set on the hardware using the Gain knobs.

An example of one use for the mixer is to record multiple artists simultaneously. (e.g. a guitarist and a vocalist are recording at the same time, and you wish to provide them with a backing track and a feed of each other’s input signal.)
The guitarist needs to hear mainly the backing track, her guitar, and some vocals. The vocalist needs to hear the backing track, a little of the guitar and lots of his vocals .
A separate mix can be created for each artist with the exact levels that he or she needs. Each artist has his or her own mix on a different mix tab."

http://d3se566zfvnmhf.cloudfront.net...nglish04_0.pdf

I don't believe it will do what you are asking.
http://www.videopark.com
MacPro 6 core 3.33 GHz, OS 10.12.1, 8 GB RAM, PT12.6.1, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, PreSonus DigiMax, MC Control V3.5, dual displays,
Neumann U-47, Tab V76 mic pre, RCA 44BX and 77DX, MacBook Pro 9,1, 2.3 Mhz, i7, CBS Labs Audimax and Volumax.
Ampex 440B half-track and four-track, 351 tube full-track mono, MM-1100 16-track.
Old 01-10-2015, 01:02 PM

FWIW my sound blaster card works with LL but it is disabled with my M-Audio card!
Old 01-10-2015, 02:59 PM

Default What 3rd Party Inerfaces work with LLM?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyJ View Post
Do the interfaces mentioned deal with muting input monitoring when record is hit, etc? I couldn't get that to work on the Orpheus at all. I tried 'MuteTone' by Tritone, but because we were using a Command 8 the mute tone wasn't compatible.

I think the best way to deal with this is to unlink the playback and record faders. It's in preferences somewhere. And then set the playback fader to normal and the record to -inf. This way you can hear the playback up to the punch-in.

Or HD has auto-input monitoring. That should really be included in all versions.
Old 01-11-2015, 08:31 AM

Quote:
I think the best way to deal with this is to unlink the playback and record faders. It's in preferences somewhere. And then set the playback fader to normal and the record to -inf. This way you can hear the playback up to the punch-in.
Wow! If that works I'll be very impressed. I'll give it a go and see if it works.
Saying that 'MUTE TONE' by Tritone, will work if you're not already using the HUI for something else (like a command 8 for example).

Old 01-11-2015, 10:46 AM

LLM only works if your record track s monitoring on outputs 1and 2 so your mix (the rest of the tracks) has to go out say 3/4. If your interface supports ASIO direct monitoring your record track will playback the track (output 1/2 only) until you punch in then audio will be muted while you are in record. So you have to monitor the mic or whatever source you have either via hardware mixer or software DSP mixer like RME Totalmix. Your mic is always 'live' but that's ok. With a hardware mixer your latency is basically zip and a DSP mixer such as Totalmix is something like 1.3ms, whatever the A/D latency is.
Anyway setup like that you can overdub on a big mix that is running at 1024 with basically zero latency but it's a workaround. There's nothing like a TDM or HDX rig for seamless workflow.
For lighter stuff on a fast native rig, a buffer of 64 is fine until you load up the session with tracks and plugs to the point where playback is a problem. Where that line is depends on the rig and the types of plugins running.
Another option is do a quick bounce of the mix and overdub with that in a low buffer session.
Old 01-11-2015, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CME View Post

Or HD has auto-input monitoring. That should really be included in all versions.
Yeah I thought that also but it doesn't work like that. As soon as you arm the track the fader snaps to inf.
Old 01-11-2015, 11:28 AM

Any interface that provides its own hardware monitoring will work with LLM. Basically, almost all of them.