Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-13-2014, 11:24 PM

Default Re: How good are Massey Plugins really?!

One thing to consider for all of you interested in Massey Plugins. Their web site "buy'em" page now has new information regarding platform support.

RTAS/TDM and VST are free until 17-FEB but they let us assume after that you need 30 dollar per platform support if you need it. I would assume all purchases until that date include the RTAS/TDM and VST platform support, but purchases after that may have different policy. Just guessing, don't really know. Only that I noticed this page changed from yesterday...
Old 02-14-2014, 12:06 PM

Great plugins! No complaints on the $30 AAX upgrade fee.
Old 02-14-2014, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
It's not meant to be a full eq, it's meant to be quick-and-dirty eq which it is. I must confess I really didn't care about it before, but now that it got trim slider in AAX version I think I'm going to use it more.
I hear ya but because it's so limited, I forget to use it.
Old 02-14-2014, 02:49 PM

The L2007 ends up on a lot of my mixes.
Old 02-14-2014, 03:14 PM

I do SFX and post mostly and I cannot work without the L2007. I use it on just about everything that needs a nice squeeze or a hard ceiling or anything in between. Very transparent. I have Tapehead, CT5 and vt3 as well. I used to use Tapehead quite a bit but have so many tape/distortion plugs that I tend to use it for its darker flavor more occasionally but it is still nice. The vt3 is more of a tone control than a surgical EQ. It's good for extra air or boom. I tend to use CT5 on bass more than anything. Haven't really used the new mix knob yet but the comp itself is very straight forward. I went with Massey when I first put my TDM system together because I wanted to avoid the big W and the price was right. But the L2007 has become indispensable to me.

The de-esser is next for me. I use the stock PT one now.
Old 02-16-2014, 12:38 PM

The de-esser is fantastic however the fab filter one is certainly on par. I bought the Massey cause I felt it suited my workflow better. My only gripe is the lack of update info about the transition to AAX.
I don't really have a problem waiting but I rather not invest in the Fab Filter one now, just to have an AAX update coming the next day.

I fully blame the various user communities for making companies wary of releasing product update cycles and it would be generally quite nice to not have to see the "why isn't my plugin xyz ZOOMOMG!!!!!" posts anymore.

If there was less of these, frankly [bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep] posts, maybe more companies would dare post approximate release dates without fearing a torrent of online abuse, should they miss the deadline.

I've slowly started to make the transition to 11 knowing that it would take at least 6 - 9 months for third party manufactures to catch up. Unfortunately I'm now a bit in limbo land and a rough idea of when I can move over fully would be very nice.

Getting really tired of the type of music makers who seem to spend 99% of their time buying and then complaining about gear rather than make music.... But maybe that's all they're capable of doing...
Old 02-16-2014, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johan2006 View Post

Getting really tired of the type of music makers who seem to spend 99% of their time buying and then complaining about gear rather than make music.... But maybe that's all they're capable of doing...
What are you talking about?

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 02-16-2014, 02:10 PM

Default How good are Massey Plugins really?!

Massey is The man. The VT3 is my go to EQ. I would like to see a mute button under each one if those knobs though. That way if I just wanted some bass, I can mute the Middle and Treble Eq.
Yes, the trim is what was needed. I find the new plugs smoother and a little nicer to look at.
For the price! Come on!

I need more practice with the L2007😁

📀
Fender Strats, Ibanez Acoustic, Ibanez Bass, Ibanez Electric.

http://www.johnackermusic.com/
[email protected]

Live and Let Live
Old 02-16-2014, 02:47 PM

I think the eq plugin is meant to serve as the antithesis of surgical eqs like Duende's X-Eq, etc. There's bass, there's treble, there's mids. If you think you have too much, or too little, of one of these, twist a knob. And I like that about it. That said, I would like something from Massey that's more surgical.
Old 02-16-2014, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johan2006 View Post
If there was less of these, frankly [bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep] posts, maybe more companies would dare post approximate release dates without fearing a torrent of online abuse, should they miss the deadline.
In all actuality it is a WAY more complicated issue than that at least it is for any company who has stick being traded. Avid is one.

But smaller developers could certainly give time lines, but then your right. Folks will be online right when the time is near complaining about it.

But for larger companies its actually a legal issue not just a "don't wanna in form out customers" issue.

System
MacPro 12 Core • 24 G Ram • 10.12.6
PT 12.8.1 • Mbox 3 Pro • Plug-ins Verified
4 HD • OS ssd | Audio ssd | Sample Library ssd | Storage
MAXPower eSATA 6G Card • Wiebetech RTX100H-Q
Kensington Trackball Works/Orbit Optical
Bluetooth off/Airport on and off.