Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App

Old 01-06-2018, 07:36 AM

Default Avid S3 and Logic Pro X

hi there, I am Roger from the Netherlands, new on this forum and joined because of the following:

I am considering the purchase of an S3 (i can buy one used for a good prices) to use with Logic Pro X. I can find a lot of youtube videos on the use of the S3 with PT, but nothing about use with LPX. Hence some questions to you:

- Does the whole color code wf (green for eq. etc.) work for LP too?
- Can the S3 control all plug in parameters in LP with visual feedback on the console? how about third party ones?
- Are there any functions not available if used with LP, and if so, what are they?
- Do you have other things I need to consider before making the purchase?

your help is greatly appreciated!

cheers, Roger
Old 01-06-2018, 03:10 PM

Default Re: Avid S3 and Logic Pro X

Hi Roger... The S3 is great with LPX!

Track color coding works
Plugin parameters all work.
There are a couple of quirky refresh bugs (but I think that's the LPX Eucon implementation), but overall it's a big step up from Mackir Control for example.
AVID Collab user - mattrixx

MacStudio Ultra / LogicProX / IzotopeRX10+ / SourceConnect / MelodyneStudio5 / WAVES Mercury / NI KompleteUltimate / ProToolsUltimate / RME UFX, UFXII, Babyface / AVID S3 + DOCK / Barefoot MM27 gen2 / Barefoot FP01
Old 01-07-2018, 12:19 PM

ok then, this tuesday I am going to try the unit, the seller brings it to my house. I would like to prepair my Macbook, but I can't find an installation for EUCON at the Avid site. How does this work, do I need to register the unit first?
Old 01-11-2018, 12:28 AM

ok, I have been playing with the S3 and Logic on my system. Wanted to give you all an update of my findings so far.

First my system:

Macbook Pro early 2015 13" 8GB ram
Logic Pro x 10.3.3
Eucon 3.7
S3 on latest firmware

I had some issues connecting the S3 via the thunderbolt adapter so I also tested on a 2012 Macbook pro with an ethernet port, same EUCON and Logic versions.

1. Connecting the S3 to the macbook via thunderbolt takes time and does not always work. I have tried several sequences (what powers on first) but not every startup is successful: sometimes EUCON doesn't 'see' the unit, sometimes AVB does not work (the unit does not show up in Audio midi preferences). I have tried several cables, today I am picking up another ethernet to thunderbolt adapter to see if that makes a difference. The sequence that works best: 1. start mac. 2. start S3. 3 wait for network connection (in the network preferences it shows the self made IP address). Check AVB audio. Start up EUCON. Wait for EUCONnection. Start logic.

these issues do not occur on my old MBP when connecting to the ethernet port, this goes much faster.

2. From the top row of encoders, all functions work except for 'Dynamics' (green). This button does nothing. If I need to access the compressor I have to do so via 'Inserts'.

this issue occurs both at my old as my new macbook

3. OLED displays sometimes show all kinds of lines while they should be blacked out. When I go into (for example) 'Sends' I see the sends for that channel (maybe 2 or 3) in the left OLED's, but the other OLED's show random lines and dots.

this issue occurs only on the Thunderbolt connection, not on on the old MBP. Mybe the new adapter will fix this.

4. SOLO CLEAR button does nothing. I think this is EUCON related, not implemented for the Logic XML. I use this button a lot in Logic, would be great if this can be fixed.

5. AVB buffer size: I can not set buffer size lower than 128. For tracking bass guitar this is kind of high, would be great if we can go to 32 samples in the future.

6. Already mentioned on this forum, one OLED is less bright than all the other ones. Eddie from AVID already reacted.
Old 04-27-2019, 12:37 AM

Hi Roger
So how have you been getting on with S3 with Logic? I was considering it until I read your reviews, sounds like more hassle than its worth?

Are you still using it? I am still using the computer mouse and keyboard shortcuts and have no problems!
I am worried about forgetting shortcuts and computer stuff if I get the S3.

Any advice?

ps* I had a Mackie controller and ended up not even turning it on sometimes!
Only using the computer keyboard and trackpad
Old 04-28-2019, 04:21 PM

My experience using S3 (and Dock) with Logic has been excellent, albeit with the caveats that are already well known.
However, I have not had the problems mentioned by RogerPaolo.

In relation to number 4. - I use a button just above and have assigned it to "Solo clear - recall" which works a treat in a similar way, with the gadded bonus of last recall.
AVID Collab user - mattrixx

MacStudio Ultra / LogicProX / IzotopeRX10+ / SourceConnect / MelodyneStudio5 / WAVES Mercury / NI KompleteUltimate / ProToolsUltimate / RME UFX, UFXII, Babyface / AVID S3 + DOCK / Barefoot MM27 gen2 / Barefoot FP01