Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > Storage Subsystems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-2009, 02:44 PM

Question Best way to organise Hard Disks?

I would appreciate some good advice on how to get the most from my system as i am a "little lost" in the world of technology.

I run a 2.66MacPro with 7GBram and 003mixer and work with an incredible singer using a mixture of live recorded audio and an assortment of midi parts (which i often bounce to audio anyway).

For storage i have a 250Gb system disk a 500Gb music disk and a recently purchased 750Gb spare.

How should i organise these disks to get
a) an automatic backup of my songs
b) maximum system efficiency
c) a place to store my ITunes

all good advice welcome

Thanks
Old 05-05-2009, 02:49 PM

Default Re: Best way to organise Hard Disks?

sorry forgot to mention these are all internal SATA Drives......
Old 05-07-2009, 02:55 AM

Default Re: Best way to organise Hard Disks?

I guess the 250 GB disk is you system disk ?

I would not store anything but the os and programs on the system disk. if it fails the os and programs are replacable, but your music is not.

As I understand you got your music on the 500GB disk wich is fine. You could also store your itunes files and other important documents there. Just remember to keep things tidy with categories and folders/subfolders. It makes backup much easier.

Use the 750 GB disk to backup all your important data (music, files, etc) from the 500GB disk.

I would also think of getting a external harddrive (preferrably a e-sata disk) for weekly/monthly backup, and store this drive on a separate location incase of fire, etc.

When it comes to backup method I personally use my own written shell script (rsync) to backup my files. But there are many ways to do this.
Some reccomend Time Machine wich is built into OSX.