Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-04-2014, 02:33 AM

Default 2014 MacPro not working right with PT 10.3.8

I just installed PT 10.3.8 on a brand new 2014 MacPro and the audio out will not work with my headphone out jacks. I tried for over a hour to work thru the audio/MIDI set up and not working. In the Audio Devices the Pro Tools Aggregate has the Built In-Line Output selected, which is correct. All audio on the computer is playing properly thru the Line Out soundsticks EXCEPT Pro Tools. I have no I/O box, as this version is just for quick edits for TV Commercials, so no mixing. All I get is the audio thru the Thunderbolt Display's speakers. I select a few different options for audio out and nothing changes in anyway, the audio just keeps coming thru the display speakers. I want it to see the LineOut on the MacPro. Any suggestions?
Old 04-04-2014, 05:14 AM

Default Re: 2014 MacPro not working right with PT 10.3.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thheaven View Post
I just installed PT 10.3.8 on a brand new 2014 MacPro and the audio out will not work with my headphone out jacks. I tried for over a hour to work thru the audio/MIDI set up and not working. In the Audio Devices the Pro Tools Aggregate has the Built In-Line Output selected, which is correct. All audio on the computer is playing properly thru the Line Out soundsticks EXCEPT Pro Tools. I have no I/O box, as this version is just for quick edits for TV Commercials, so no mixing. All I get is the audio thru the Thunderbolt Display's speakers. I select a few different options for audio out and nothing changes in anyway, the audio just keeps coming thru the display speakers. I want it to see the LineOut on the MacPro. Any suggestions?
You do know Avid hasn't approved PT10 any version for Mavericks right? You're really going to need to get a true sound I/O device; the headphone out even if you get it to work doesn't have enough oomph to drive most good headphones.

QAPLA!
Old 04-04-2014, 07:42 AM

You mention Protools Aggregate. There is no reason to set up anything with that. You should be able to just select Built In output. You may want to delete the selections for Protools Aggregate. Aggregate is only if you want to use the built in outputs in addition to another audio interface, which is not what you're trying to do here. It will just confuse things.
Old 04-04-2014, 11:59 AM

I actually had this working fine on my other MacPro (2012) with everything the same. The new 2014 MacPro is not working correctly with the soundsticks, plugged thru the line out and Pro Tools.. It's like the audio out in Pro Tools doesn't want to work with the Audio/MIDI setup.. I wasn't sure if anyone else had this issue. Anyone know where and how to trash the audio prefs now, I can try that.
Old 04-04-2014, 12:22 PM

Hey

Try this as the preferences and databases etc will trash most of the stuff and see if that helps anything

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/t...nd_Preferences

Best of luck
Christopher

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 04-04-2014, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thheaven View Post
I actually had this working fine on my other MacPro (2012) with everything the same. The new 2014 MacPro is not working correctly with the soundsticks, plugged thru the line out and Pro Tools.. It's like the audio out in Pro Tools doesn't want to work with the Audio/MIDI setup.. I wasn't sure if anyone else had this issue. Anyone know where and how to trash the audio prefs now, I can try that.
What are soundsticks? Never heard of them/it.

QAPLA!
Old 04-04-2014, 05:29 PM

This solved my problem and it works now, Thank You VERY much.

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/t...nd_Preferences

as for what are soundsticks, they are great basic speakers I use on my video/graphic system... I have 5 different pro tools systems.. my main in the studio is a HD3 loaded and with 3 sets of speakers, AX7, NS10's, BlueSky's..
the one I was discussing on this thread is thru a soundstick.. while a great speaker for basic use, I do not recommend these for mixing purposes as they are far from being accurate with tones, but as a basic speaker for a basic computer, they are fine. -

http://store.apple.com/us/product/H2...1eaa27433467b9
Old 04-04-2014, 07:15 PM

You are very welcome

Glad I could help and even more glad you are up and running again

Best Regards and Have a Nice Weekend

Christopher

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————