Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Mac)

Old 02-14-2009, 09:13 AM

Default "calculating overviews" wait, wait, wait

My main rig is a PT 7.4.x HD on a Mac Pro.

I installed PT 8 M-Powered on my Macbook, using a ProFire 610. All working great, plugins fine, etc. Testing everything with a blank session, just making sure it all works. It does.

So I power it all down and hook up the master drive of a session that I just recorded on the big HD rig. It is a live show, about 1.5 hrs.

I click on it to open on the M-Powered rig and it is now "calculating overviews" and it is taking forever, I suppose because each file is over an hour long.

What is the deal? I don't remember ever having to wait for a pro tools rig of any kind to calculate overviews, it just sort of happened, and quickly in the background, didn't think about it. Don't these overviews get stored on the disk somewhere? Does 8 have to recalculate overviews from earlier versions? Does M-Powered have to recalculate from HD sessions?

It's been 10 minutes and not even half done yet, according to the progress bar. AND it is taking up so much CPU power that I can't work and let this progress in the background. CPU overload messages.
Old 02-15-2009, 04:51 AM

Default Re: "calculating overviews" wait, wait, wait

Quote:
does 8 have to recalculate overviews from earlier versions?
- yes!

if you want to work immediately, you can disable background tasks during plyback/record in the task window of PT...
MacBook Pro i7 Quad 2.6GHz 16GB RAM
ProTools 2020.11
Avid S1
Avid Dock
Avid Control
Digidesign Command|8
macOS Catalina
MOTU 4pre
MOTU Track16
Axiom Pro 25
LinnStrument 128
Roli Seaboard Block

tons of stomp boxes
tube amps
guitars
noise
Old 02-18-2009, 04:23 AM

also, after pt8 calculates all the overviews from a pt7 project, it changes the "date modified" for every file on the timeline. This makes my backup software (synchronize pro x and retrospect) back up all audio files again. It's extremely frustrating as simple mix fixes from a pt7 project (done it pt8) now require all the audio to be backed up again. i found this out at 5am this morning. i was expecting to backup a few hundred megabytes and was seriously surprised that i had to backup about 30gig of audio files that had already been backed up months ago.

Does anyone know of a way to avoid this happening or are we stuck with all this useless extra data?

Cheers

Sam
Old 06-14-2009, 10:52 PM

I have the exact same problem.

I'm using a brand new MBox Mini 2, on a Macbook Pro, and have just recently upgraded to OS 10.5.7 and the latest Tools 8.0cs3 update.

I've opened an old 7 session which references a lot of files, and it's taking hours to calculate overviews. When I pause the Task Manager I still can't even play the track properly. The buffer is up, and CPU capacity at full. No good.

Pro Fools.

Any other suggestions?
Old 06-15-2009, 09:11 PM

I've been screaming about this since PT8 came out TDM in December. Each version is the same as Digi increased the resolution on the waveforms, so everything has to be redrawn. It'd be nice if they would make 'HiRes Views' an option.

I typically record 80-90 tracks at once. Hitting 'STOP' starts the redraw process which has lasted as long as 45-minutes for a 60-minute show.
Old 06-16-2009, 10:32 AM

I've had odd issues like this as well. I have noticed depending on where your playback engine is set that this process can at times be faster the higher your buffer size setting.