Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2017, 11:15 AM

Default Protools Video Import and Viewing

I'm having zero luck getting a video imported and viewable so that I can work on a soundtrack. I see there are lots of issues and I would like to rule out a software bug. Can someone provide a link to a video that will successfully import and play in Protools ? I have version 12.4 running on Windows 7 64 bit.
Old 03-16-2017, 12:45 PM

Default Re: Protools Video Import and Viewing

Not to be "that guy," but what EXACTLY are you seeing? Are you getting an error message? Does it import, but just not play? What codec are you TRYING to play? To a client monitor, or just to the desktop? Some specifics might help.

Chris
Old 03-16-2017, 12:47 PM

What are you seeing when you import it, or can you not import it??
What is the video format?

Without knowing more, most likely, a video codec is missing.

EDIT:
OOPS same time response!!
Old 03-16-2017, 05:55 PM

When I import any video that I have, a white top window appears. Nothing ever displays in this top window except white. In the video frame track the frames on the timeline are all black. There is a still image of the first frame of the video that imported under the file menu. It never moves to the 2nd or subsequent frames. Just remains a still image, when I play the music. When I press the button to stop playing the music. I get a pop up that says The Avid Video Engine is unable to stop. The popup keeps coming back up, not letting me do anything at all in the application, not close it, not save it, not play it. I have to use Task Manager to end task on the Protools application.

I've used H.264 mp4, and QuickTime.
I'm so sick of this useless time suck, that I just want to see if it will work correctly with ANY video. If I can se it work correctly, I'll try to find a converter to fix up mine.
Old 03-16-2017, 09:57 PM

Honestly, it seems more like a configuration issue, or a conflict somewhere. It should absolutely work wtih DNxHD or Pro Res files, as that's what it's made to do. I'd try a clean install, before anything else. Please publish your system specs: OS? Processor? RAM? Graphic cards? Drivers? Audio interface? Pro Tools version? All of these things can have an impact. Do you have Media Composer installed too? Any other DAWs? What else can you tell us that will help us help you?

As it stands right now, all I can tell you is: well darn, it works for me and nearly everybody else.

Give us some specifics, please.

Chris
Old 03-17-2017, 12:27 AM

Consumers\Devices\DesktopPlayConsumer.c, line 111
20170317015710 FatalAbort Assertion failed: false, file src\AvidVideoSlaveManager.cpp, line 7932
20170317020115 FatalAbort Assertion failed: FALSE, file src\Consumers\Devices\DesktopPlayConsumer.c, line 111

I've installed avid codec LE.
Imported pro res files.
Same result as before.

Windows 7, protools 12.4 , on board video
Old 03-17-2017, 05:01 AM

Still not enough information on your system. What computer? How much RAM? How many hard drives and what are they? The more information you give us, the more help we can provide.
Dell Precision 490 Workstation, dual 4 core 5355 Xeon, 16gb Samsung DDR2 ECC Ram - Windows 7 Ultimate - Nvidia GTX 650 - 3 x Internal WD Blacks - PT 2018.3 - Digi 002R - Original Mackie HUI - 3 screens - JBL Monitoring.
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790 - 24gb RAM - Windows 10 - Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB with Studio driver 546.01 - 2 x Internal Samsung 860 EVO SSDs, and MSATA card - Davinci Resolve Studio 18.6.4 - 3 screens - Blackmagic Speed Editor - MK1 Presonus Faderport - Canon C100 mk2 - Atomos Ninja 2 - Zoom H2n
Old 03-17-2017, 06:51 AM

It still seems like a conflict, or a screwed up installation. Have you done a clean re-install of Pro Tools? If you're getting fatal crashes of various Pro Tools components, then something is conflicting or corrupted. I would uninstall, then use a registry cleaner to wipe out any vestige of the old install. Get rid of preferences, etc. Then re-install. Honestly, not sure where the problem happened, but continuing to beat your head against a broken install is only going to give you a headache.
Old 03-17-2017, 07:31 AM

This sounds like you are missing a codec.

Also,

As I am sure others have mentioned. The AVE handles MP4 H.264 files poorly. The general consensus is that ProRes or DNx are better ways to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundTrackerit View Post
When I import any video that I have, a white top window appears. Nothing ever displays in this top window except white. In the video frame track the frames on the timeline are all black. There is a still image of the first frame of the video that imported under the file menu. It never moves to the 2nd or subsequent frames. Just remains a still image, when I play the music. When I press the button to stop playing the music. I get a pop up that says The Avid Video Engine is unable to stop. The popup keeps coming back up, not letting me do anything at all in the application, not close it, not save it, not play it. I have to use Task Manager to end task on the Protools application.

I've used H.264 mp4, and QuickTime.
I'm so sick of this useless time suck, that I just want to see if it will work correctly with ANY video. If I can se it work correctly, I'll try to find a converter to fix up mine.
Denver, CO
Old 03-17-2017, 09:20 AM

I have 16 GB physical memory, and its only using about 5. This is the first time I'm using the video feature. Starting with a small 8 second file. the audio works fine and took a quite a bit of time and setup to get it to work fine. I don't want to lose ground on the audio.
I had let the support plan expire so, now it's $300 to get it renewed.