How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2014, 10:49 PM

Default PT 5 Session compatibility

Hi folks,

believe it or not I'm still using PT 5.1.3 TDM on PT Mix hardware on an Apple 9600 (and loving it!!!). I also have a MBP 15" Retina 2.6GHz and wish to install PT 11 Native on it. My question is, what do I have to do in order to be able to open my old PT5 sessions on this Macbook? Or will it even be possible?? I realise the plugins won't be recognized of course, but at least the files and edits would be useful to have..

thanks in advance!
Old 12-09-2014, 11:10 PM

Default Re: PT 5 Session compatibility

Quote:
Originally Posted by efunc View Post
Hi folks,

believe it or not I'm still using PT 5.1.3 TDM on PT Mix hardware on an Apple 9600 (and loving it!!!). I also have a MBP 15" Retina 2.6GHz and wish to install PT 11 Native on it. My question is, what do I have to do in order to be able to open my old PT5 sessions on this Macbook? Or will it even be possible?? I realise the plugins won't be recognized of course, but at least the files and edits would be useful to have..

thanks in advance!
I believe you are probably using SDII audio files then? Rail has a small app called "SD to Wav" or something similar. The audio files have to be converted for 11.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 12-09-2014, 11:12 PM

audio file type? (wav, aif, or POS SD2)
11 should open the old sessions (SD2 will need to be converted to wav)
if you have problems make a new session (maybe a template to work from, if you have a lot) and use Import Session Data
you will need to do some I/O work matching buses to outputs (if your old sessions are constant this is were a template could help matching I/O on import)

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 12-09-2014, 11:25 PM

PT11 doesn't read SDII? I had no idea! Thanks for the tip. This will all require a lot of conversion for me then, but at least it sounds like it might at least be possible. Thanks a lot for the quick responses. I've just bought the s/w 5 mins ago, so I look forward to testing it out and joining the 21st C..
Old 12-09-2014, 11:40 PM

Hmm, even better, it sounds like my old tdm plugs settings may even translate if I have the AXX versions installed. Happy days!!
Old 12-10-2014, 01:20 PM

Personally, I would open session on the old rig, consolidate all audio back to 00:00:000 and export as wave(or aiff) files. Then import and start from scratch on the new rig. Or just finish and archive all the old stuff and maybe stash the old setup in a closet...just in case. You've likely heard the mantra, "never upgrade in the middle of a project"..... I myself have a freshly built 6 core i7 behemoth in the corner, just waiting for me to finish my current CD projects

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 12-10-2014, 04:43 PM

Yes, thanks for the advice. The old Mix rig will have to stay because I have a lot of legacy bits like my Apogee AD8000SE MkII front end, DATa archives with AMIII card as well as crucial s/w in OS9 such as Opcode Studio Vision (and even Sound Designer!).

So to clarify, are my SDII files converted to WAV when PT11 tries to open the session, or do I need to convert them in advance using my old rig with the 'Save a copy of the Session as.." command? I understand that it would probably be desirable to re-edit, simplify, remove unsupported plugins and export in the right format (aiff), but otherwise is it equally an option to just have PT11 take care of things? Come to think of it, I'm not even sure if PT 5 sessions can read WAV files. I know I often bounce out to wav, but I've never imported or built sessions with them before.
Old 12-10-2014, 04:59 PM

11 should convert on import if you have problems, Save Session Copy In: check the Mac<>PC compatibility box

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 12-10-2014, 05:03 PM

Great, thanks for the tip