Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-2013, 09:05 AM

Default 11R as interface...some issues I'd hope to get solved

So I have the 11R set up as my main interface with my iMac, and most things are swell.

But I have a couple issues that might be operator error, so I'll try to describe them the best I can.

1. When arming a track in PT and using 11R as a guitar input, the sound from the instrument mutes when I start playback...even with the track set on input monitoring in Low Latency Mode. If I switch it to normal mode, I can play along on the guitar...but in LLM it only gives me sound if I hit record.

2. When doing vocals (which I do through the line inputs on 11R with my normal micpre/comp/eq) ...it acts pretty strange in the way that all tracks that have the 11R line input assigned as input, start passing the microphone sound, even if they are not armed, in LLM.
I have to set any other track than the one I want to record to "no input" in order to stop them all from passing the sound of the mic.
This stops when I switch back to normal mode.

Is there some setup that I have missed?

iMac27 i9 3.6 (late 2019) / 64 GB Ram / OS 10.15.7
Apollo 8 / PT Ultimate 2020.9.1
Old 03-16-2013, 04:21 AM

Default Re: 11R as interface...some issues I'd hope to get solved

Bump!

None of you guys experience my problems? ...Or is this the way it works??

Old 03-16-2013, 07:21 AM

You need to switch from Auto input monitoring to Input only monitoring. Get familiar with the idea because I find myself switching between them often for different purposes.
Old 03-16-2013, 04:53 PM

Where do I switch "Auto input monitoring to Input only monitoring"?

Can you elaborate? ...I don't see anything in PT or in 11R with those options.

Old 03-16-2013, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oli P View Post
Where do I switch "Auto input monitoring to Input only monitoring"?

Can you elaborate? ...I don't see anything in PT or in 11R with those options.
on the top file bar, TRACK >Auto Input/Input Only. The one showing is the one that is NOT active.

Or use the keyboard shortcut Alt+K

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 03-17-2013, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoni View Post
on the top file bar, TRACK >Auto Input/Input Only. The one showing is the one that is NOT active.

Or use the keyboard shortcut Alt+K
Ah...that's just the same as selecting input mode ...the green button.
If you read my first post, then you'll see that it's not related to that...it is despite of selecting input that it mutes what I'm playing.
And on the opposite is letting things through when both record enable and inputs are disarmed.

But I have found that this is not a constant thing...and today on another session it behaves like I'd expect it to

I have also experienced that 11R starts distorting when opening a session...and that is fixed by going into the "hardware setup" and changing the clock from internal to something else and back again.
So that is a clock related problem that seems to arise every now and then.

Do I have a faulty unit? ...or might this be related to USB or OSX 10.8?

Old 03-30-2013, 12:20 PM

I still have the problem that I can't monitor while playing back in low latency mode and the track set in record and on input monitor status.
If I switch low latency monitoring off...I can hear the "live" signal.

If I hit record while in low latency mode, I have signal and it behaves normally.

It is not consistent from session to session...sometimes it works as expected, but most times it's this wrong way.

Old 03-30-2013, 12:40 PM

What exactly is your Pro Tools playback engine set to? -- you are not trying to use aggregate IO right? And in those sessions with problems the output of the tracks you are trying to monitor is set directly to ""Main Out L/R" correct? No other busing/routing?

If the problem is specific to some sessions then you may need to isolate what sessions have this problem, create new sessions and then import the content from those faulty sessions into the new one.

There may be something corrupted with these sessions. Like corrupted IO settings (if you have session overwrites IO settings enabled in Setup>IO). Try defaulting the IO (Setup>IO and hit the default button on each page).

If none of that works attach a screenshot of the Setup>IO pages and of your Mix window set to show all the track IO assignments.

Darryl
Old 03-30-2013, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
What exactly is your Pro Tools playback engine set to? -- you are not trying to use aggregate IO right? And in those sessions with problems the output of the tracks you are trying to monitor is set directly to ""Main Out L/R" correct? No other busing/routing?

If the problem is specific to some sessions then you may need to isolate what sessions have this problem, create new sessions and then import the content from those faulty sessions into the new one.

There may be something corrupted with these sessions. Like corrupted IO settings (if you have session overwrites IO settings enabled in Setup>IO). Try defaulting the IO (Setup>IO and hit the default button on each page).

If none of that works attach a screenshot of the Setup>IO pages and of your Mix window set to show all the track IO assignments.

Darryl
Everything is set correct....I am a fairly seasoned PT user, so I'm pretty sure I have any obvious pitfall covered.
And the confusing part is that it works correctly sometimes...and I'm trying all I can to find what differs in these sessions.
And I have experienced sessions having no problem...then having the problem...and then not having it again.

Can it be a USB problem? ...I'm only suspicious of that because of the other problem, that it can start distorting terribly...and that is fixed by selecting external clock in HW setup...and then selecting internal again right away.