How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2011, 05:25 PM

Default DAE Error 35

hi there, ladies and gentlemen!

i am writing with the almost vanishing spark of hope that someone really knows something about this specific dae error. i have thorough working knowledge of protools 5, 10 years ago i've been using it 24/7, i was incredibly fast - except when bouncing - and i worked like a charm. well, most of the time.

these days i'm using logic a lot, but since protools 9 is rumored to support my fireface, too, i bought it. i thought i'm really fast on this platform, why not use it since i don't need to pay the equivalent of a small car for it anymore.

i'm on an imac i7, 2.93ghz running mac osx 10.6.7 and protools 9.0.3. when i start up a session and hit play protools freezes and, after minutes of waiting, gives me this error.

from what i've read so far on this forum firewire and harddrives are suspected to be possible underlying problems for this error. however this error is simply undocumented on avid.com! you can't find it! all i have are a few suspicions of fellow users! this can't be true!

just so you know: my project harddrive is brand spanking new, freshly repaired with disk warrior and it has been also freshly formatted before i put it to use. there are several other harddrives in the chain, but everything works FLAWLESSLY with just about any other (audio) application i'm using. i have looked for suspicious non standard characters and removed them all from the session's file names (root symbol for example, this came from an omf with german umlaute).

now i simply ran out of ideas, the next thing i'm gonna do is buy a support ticket and shout at the poor person at the other end of the line and tell them what an incredible piece of crap protools obviously is these days. this is simply unacceptable. i haven't been able to work a single hour undisturbed with the program since i installed it.

now before i do that and make a poor avid-employee feel really bad, i would like to give it a shot and ask you fellow users for help: does anybody know what to do in this situation, is there an error-description hidden somewhere on avid's webpage that i didn't get, maybe even an avid employee could chime in as a deus ex machina and clear things up?

right now it looks like protools 9 is the most unusable piece of tra... audio application i have ever used. and i have had my share of problems with logic, believe me...

thanks in advance for brainstorming, especially if you read all of this,
all the best,
your very disturbed
Alexander.
Old 06-06-2011, 05:39 PM

Default Re: DAE Error 35

Sorry if this seems basic but you got to start somewhere. Is it a 7200 RPM drive? What kind of firewire are you using 400 or 800? What type of formatting did you do to the drive? In the workspace does it say R R next to it? Again sorry if this seems basic.
Old 06-07-2011, 02:37 AM

basic is ok, i dont mind at all, after all its been years since i have been using pro tools a lot and the workspace didnt exist back then. its a 7200 drive, its fw800, formatting is just the regular hfs+ journaled, using disk utility, nothing special. i will check about R R although its unclear to me what that means, are you talking about permissions here?

btw: last night after writing the posting above i moved the session over from my super-high-performance-fw-800 drive to an ordinary, vanilla usb drive and....it worked! i was able to use pro tools with that drive. if anyone has any idea whats the problem here, i would appreciate any input.

and billdog793, thanks for your remarks!

all the best,
alexander.
Old 06-07-2011, 06:27 AM

Did you use your firewire drive with an external power adapter?
My oxford equipped firewire 800 drive worked without external power until my project got bigger in track and plugin count. Then I started to get DAE -9073 and DAE 35.

When I bought an external power adapter everything worked!

Another thought would be that your drive is housing a firewire chipset that's not supported.
Old 06-07-2011, 11:43 AM

thanks for your input handersson. the drive is called freecom i believe. i don't know about the chipset but will check later. is there a list of supported chipsets? looks like avid still needs to make everything complicated...is it too much asked to have protools just use any available harddrive...sigh...

the harddrive is a 3.5" model and yes, it has a power adapter wouldn't work without it...but thanks for the idea anyway...!

all the best,
Alexander.
Old 06-08-2011, 04:33 AM

ok, here's the latest news: the harddrive manufacturer (of the firewire 800 drive) tells me the drive has the following oxford chipset:

OXUF S9360SE-FBAG
F0844
N1H30A
N1H3ZQ

do i interpret this correctly as an oxford 936 chipset? this is obviously unsupported by avid, but...since the number is higher... maybe its a newer chipset that might be supported in the future..? any insights...?

all the best,
Alexander.