Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2008, 05:58 PM

Default Delay Compensation and sync io

I've just started using plugins that cause latency that is beyond 100 samples or so and my primary use of protools is mixing audio to be layed back to video with the sync io. I understand how the TDM delay compensation works but I'm now having to nudge audio because I'm exceeding the limits of the compensation. Do I need to change my timeline timecode to make the audio match up to video? If I'm under the 4072 sample limit and the program is handling it all will the sync io delay the tape the appropriate amount automatically?

I can't find any info in my reference manual about this issue other than in the 'setup session' dialogue it shows total latency. It doesn't mention if this latency is applied to the tape syncing to the protools.

Thanks for any info on this.
Old 03-13-2008, 06:44 PM

Default Re: Delay Compensation and sync io

Quote:
I'm now having to nudge audio because I'm exceeding the limits of the compensation. Do I need to change my timeline timecode to make the audio match up to video?
No. You may want to use the TimeAdjuster plug-in, as it may provide you with additional delay in the box to align all of your audio. Otherwise, you can bounce out your audio, then import the bounce back into your session and spot it appropriately. This way you do not have to be slipping elements on your timeline to maintain sync (which is dangerous, in my opinion).
Quote:
If I'm under the 4072 sample limit and the program is handling it all will the sync io delay the tape the appropriate amount automatically?
No. What will happen is Pro Tools will delay all the audio paths to match the audio path with the longest delay, and time it so that the audio output from the interface occurs at the point in time that an audio event is spotted on the timeline.