Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-2007, 04:51 PM

Default Master Fader is Clipping, what now?

I would really like to find out what other people with the same problem do different from me in this situation.
I know I should avoid this from the beginning of the mix, but sometimes s.... happens.
My master fader is clipping.... What do you guys do?
I try to turn down the volume of all the tracks independently instead of lowering the Master fader.

Is it ok just to turn down the master fader?
I mix back to pro tools sending the whole mix to a Manley Mixer, so for me it's ok if my master is not really at a-3db because I can compensate that when I am recording the 2track mix back to Pro Tools through my Manley mixer.
Tks
Fernando
Pro Tools LE 6.4
Digi 001
Samson Resolv 65A
OS X 10.3.2
Old 06-05-2007, 04:53 PM

Default Re: Master Fader is Clipping, what now?

Just because you turn down the master fader doesn't mean that you aren't clipping the input of the channel to begin with. In analog sometimes this can be a cool thing and you get a nice breakup where the harmonics begin to shine. In digital this is never a good thing and you should concentrate on mixing your levels quieter so that you have headroom by the time you hit the master fader. You'll notice your mixes open up quite a bit and have a lot more depth to them.

Hope that helps! Best of luck!
Pro Audio Sales/Consulting
http://www.audiolot.com

Follow AudioLot on Facebook
Old 06-05-2007, 04:58 PM

That's what I thought!!
I guess I should set the monitoring level louder than I ve been doing lately!!
Thanks!!
Cheers!!
Pro Tools LE 6.4
Digi 001
Samson Resolv 65A
OS X 10.3.2
Old 06-05-2007, 05:25 PM

Hi,

select all tracks and create a group for all of them, create a new VCA master and assign it to the new group and now pull down the VCA master a couple of DB and all your tracks should now bw scaled down by 2db but should retain their relative levels.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 06-05-2007, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Hi,

select all tracks and create a group for all of them, create a new VCA master and assign it to the new group and now pull down the VCA master a couple of DB and all your tracks should now bw scaled down by 2db but should retain their relative levels.

Chris
Of course, this won't work as well if you're sub-mixing sections to aux tracks with plugins on them b/c you'll then be changing the input levels to the plugs on those auxes. e.g. if you've got all your BV's bussed to a stereo aux on which you have an gate, eq and compressor, you'd want to trim the level on the aux, but not on the individual audio tracks. Just one of many possible examples of why you need to be careful about the method described.
Old 06-06-2007, 03:25 AM

How about gaining down the offending tracks a few dbs and continuing from there? Is this a negative option?
Old 06-06-2007, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Just because you turn down the master fader doesn't mean that you aren't clipping the input of the channel to begin with. In analog sometimes this can be a cool thing and you get a nice breakup where the harmonics begin to shine. In digital this is never a good thing and you should concentrate on mixing your levels quieter so that you have headroom by the time you hit the master fader. You'll notice your mixes open up quite a bit and have a lot more depth to them.

Hope that helps! Best of luck!
Not true, lowering the master fader is the same as lowering all the mix channels individually. This is because it acts like an attenuator for the 48bit mix bus. It helps you scale your 48bit mix into a 24bit output. You can try this with 'signal generator' set to a 1kHz sine wave across 24 channels the master fader can be clipping & you will here the distortion clearly, now bring down the master fader until the level is no longer clipping. Viola! the distortion magically disappears.

What you are referring to only applies to 'Aux faders' these act different to master faders & can be clipped on the input if you aren't careful & lowering the Aux fader just brings the distorted signal down to a lower level. Also beware that TDM plugs can also be easily clipped as they too are 24bit fixed on the plug-in bus interconnect I/O.

Matt

www.matthewgraymastering.com

Brisbane Australia
Old 06-06-2007, 06:00 AM

Matt is correct. You're not actually clipping anything internally, just the 24bit final output.

This usually happens when people mistakenly think they need to/should record all their tracks with the levels mashed at the top. Remember 0dbVU is -18dbFS or about halfway up the PT level meter. When you take all those mashed up tracks and mix them together, you get that "Pro Tools Sound".

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 06-06-2007, 08:53 AM

Sounds like you would benefit from reading the 48-bit mixer white paper
Old 06-06-2007, 09:02 AM

Quote:
lowering the master fader is the same as lowering all the mix channels individually. This is because it acts like an attenuator for the 48bit mix bus. It helps you scale your 48bit mix into a 24bit output.
Matt-

I didn't know that! Was this true of the LE master fader too (except for the 48bit part of course)? I seem to remember the conventional wisdom of PTLE was that the master fader was basically an aux track, and that if you were clipping, you needed to lower the tracks feeding it rather than the master fader itself, and I just assumed that carried over into HD as well.