Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2023, 01:03 PM

Default Pro Tools Ultimate and Artist crazy behaviour

I own Pro Tools Ultimate licensed to my I-lock in my studio, and I also own Pro Tools Artist in my son's music studio. Lately, started today, when I lunch "my Pro Tools Ultimate, my rig, with uses HDX cards" my system loads my son's Pro Tools Artist...this is insane, why?

How can I stop this? I never installed Pro Tools Artist in my computer, and my son has it on a Windows lap top, I am on a Mac

Last edited by garnoil; 12-06-2023 at 01:08 PM. Reason: more details
Old 12-06-2023, 03:30 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools Ultimate and Artist crazy behaviour

It's getting this license from somewhere. Maybe from iLok Cloud or your iLok. Disconnect from any iLok cloud session on this system, check there is no Artist activated to the iLok (remove if it is). Make sure your Ultimate license is on the iLok etc.
Old 12-06-2023, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
It's getting this license from somewhere. Maybe from iLok Cloud or your iLok. Disconnect from any iLok cloud session on this system, check there is no Artist activated to the iLok (remove if it is). Make sure your Ultimate license is on the iLok etc.
Yeah weird, Ive had this set up with my son for at least 18 months and this just started happening yesterday. Re-booting my computer fixes the issue and 'my' PT ultimate loads fine. How can the Artist version that is NOT installed in my system, load and play in my computer? Is this because I am actually accessing HIS system via an i-cloud? so like I am using his system remotely? even if his computer is off?
Old 12-06-2023, 03:44 PM

It’s the same installer, what loads is the version the I-lok “sees.”
Old 12-06-2023, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnoil View Post
Yeah weird, Ive had this set up with my son for at least 18 months and this just started happening yesterday. Re-booting my computer fixes the issue and 'my' PT ultimate loads fine. How can the Artist version that is NOT installed in my system, load and play in my computer? Is this because I am actually accessing HIS system via an i-cloud? so like I am using his system remotely? even if his computer is off?
No you are not using his system remotely. Your system can be anything from Intro, Artist, Studio or Ultimate depending on what iLok license it sees. Somehow it's seeing an Artist license.

An example of how easy this might be to have happen is your son uses your system and connect to iLok cloud for licensing and leaves that connected. Maybe connected to iLok cloud without even using Pro Tools. I would also check things like you and your son are licensed from separate iLok accounts to avoid potential issues (e.g. if it's the same iLok account then maybe you just connected to iLok cloud without meaning to).
Old 12-06-2023, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post

An example of how easy this might be to have happen is your son uses your system and connect to iLok cloud for licensing and leaves that connected. Maybe connected to iLok cloud without even using Pro Tools. I would also check things like you and your son are licensed from separate iLok accounts to avoid potential issues (e.g. if it's the same iLok account then maybe you just connected to iLok cloud without meaning to).
In the not-so-distant past I had a spurious, random and unprovoked instance of my license migrating to iLok Cloud. I never use or had used iLok Cloud and intentionally avoid it. Yet there it went!

Garnoil, might be worth investigating....
Old 12-07-2023, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob L View Post
In the not-so-distant past I had a spurious, random and unprovoked instance of my license migrating to iLok Cloud. I never use or had used iLok Cloud and intentionally avoid it. Yet there it went!

Garnoil, might be worth investigating....
I had exactly the same thing happen some months ago out of the blue,, switched to iLok Cloud and I had never used it or ever selected it .

Trying to remember (not certain) but it may have been after updating to 2023.3 or .6 ?
In any case and IF I remember correctly, I had to go to my iLok account and deactivate iLok Cloud

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 12-07-2023, 11:00 AM
Avid

Hi garnoil,

Since you and your son shares the same iLok account meaning his Pro Tools Artist license is cloud activated and also under your iLok account, there are some rare instance that Pro Tools Artist will launch since all tiers of Pro Tools uses the same installer and it's a matter of license which version you can access. If you to avoid this, I would suggest to either have the Pro Tools Artist license activated on a separate iLok key or have your son his own iLok account and transfer the license over to that account. This way we can assure that only Pro Tools Ultimate will launch on your computer.
To create an Avid Support Case, you may go to https://www.avid.com/learn-and-support/contact-audio-and-music-support