Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2023, 06:44 PM

Default Re: ProTools does not recognize/open new sessions

Hey Daryll,

So a couple of things.

1. I assumed this was in relation to some user data stuff that Avid collected for themselves but I've found the key issue, which is:

Could not complete your request because Permission denied (13) while deleting "UsageAnalytics.pref" while opening "UsageAnalytics.pref".

Funny enough, I found a forum in which you actually helped with this exact problem. Thanks for being a lifesaver for so many and I'm so sorry for explaining my problem so poorly and thank you for helping me. I'm gonna try and see if I can find out more also about this.

2. I've been doing both the dashboard and file > open session. When I do that, it also does not open. It feels like I should hit Command = but even if I do the mix window does not open.

3. The log file is about 20x the length of that. I don't know if it's supposed to be or not? But we'll see.

Thanks for being a big help I genuinely appreciate it
Old 10-07-2023, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianntobrienn View Post
Hi guys! I'm new to the forum here but any help you can give me is greatly appreicated and I am forever in your debt. That being said, I transfered computers from one mac to another and ever since I did that my ProTools sessions will not be recognized by the UI and won't open at all. They don't give me an error message or anything, they just won't open at all. I've be importing session data everytime I need to come back to a session but it's really time consuming and I don't have the time to do that anymore and just wanna use ProTools as normal. Has anyone run into this before and if not can anybody please help. Thank you so much.
SWAG -
Did you use Migration Assassin to "transfer computers"?

Is there a chance that PT is trying to save to locations on the original machine, but looking on the new one?

Any chance that PT is saving to the new machine and looking in the old one?

Have you done a Save As and specified the drive > volume > folder > file name path, and understand and remember that location? I do NOT mean to come across as insulting; I can't recall how many times the answer to "Where did you save the file?" was "In Pro Tools."

As the esteemed Mr. Ramm has suggested, forget the dashboard Recents menu and search and locate using file tools. I'll bet you a donut with sprinkles ("Sprinkles are for winners!") that Foo.ptx will be found at least once across all of your drive space.
Old 10-07-2023, 09:21 PM

We don’t know if this OP did a clean install of Pro Tools or migrated all applications from a different machine.

We also don’t know if this OP clicked on the prompt when first launching Pro Tools after installation to allow permission to the documents folder.

My suggestion would be to reinstall Pro Tools. This will trigger all security prompts again. Or at least it should.
Old 10-07-2023, 11:23 PM

Ian:

Would be just good to have confirmed exactly what the problem is. If it's just the Dashboard Recent list not working as expected then it's likely just a permissions problem with the Pro Tools Prefs file and deleting that (trashing prefs using Pete Gate's PT Prefs) may fix that problem.

If your user account was copied or migrated then maybe user ids or file owner and permissions got messed up, so would be good to know how the systems got upgrade/migrated. Was it an insitu update, was migration assistant used to move stuff, was some manual copying done etc.