Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-24-2011, 02:13 PM

Default Re: "CPU overload"?

I installed the new update 9.0.1, my mac pro boots in 32 bit normally as it is a 2008 mac pro 8 core. I got rid of any extra peripherals and so far things have been better but have been working on small sessions but it worked all day for the first time. I will see what happens tomorrow when I go back to a chunkier session...
Old 01-24-2011, 02:25 PM

Here is apples instructions to boot in 32 bit mode, You can do it on a per boot up basis by holding down the 3 and 2 keys while booting or change it so it will always boot in 32 bit using the terminal.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3773
Old 01-25-2011, 09:57 AM

this application cleared up my cpu issue

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=190122
Old 01-26-2011, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancemcv View Post
Here is apples instructions to boot in 32 bit mode, You can do it on a per boot up basis by holding down the 3 and 2 keys while booting or change it so it will always boot in 32 bit using the terminal.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3773

Thanks Lance, i've done that already, last week. No big change in my case.
I am now downloading and trying the JC application for deleting prefs and databases.
later
F
Old 01-26-2011, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmooth226 View Post
this application cleared up my cpu issue

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=190122

Thanks a lot. I checked this thread and looks reliable.
best
F
Old 11-03-2012, 07:59 PM

With anything less then 128-sample H/W buffer size, I'm regularly getting the 6101 error w/ only 2 audio tracks and no plug-ins (48k/24 session)!! Is this normal?!

I've tried many Playback Engine configurations (currently using 3 of 4 processors at 95%). I've tried switching to 32-bit mode...tried trashing prefs...no help.

Specs:
-PT 9.0.3
-OSX 10.6.8
-Mac Pro 2 x 2.66Ghz Dual-core intel xeon (mid-2006)
-11 GB Ram
-Separate audio hard-drive (installed via internal drive bay)
-PT Aggregate I/O using:
-Benchmark ADC16 Firewire interface
-MacPro digital optical out

Any help?

Thanks in advance!
Old 11-03-2012, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hear-this View Post
With anything less then 128-sample H/W buffer size, I'm regularly getting the 6101 error w/ only 2 audio tracks and no plug-ins (48k/24 session)!! Is this normal?!

I've tried many Playback Engine configurations (currently using 3 of 4 processors at 95%). I've tried switching to 32-bit mode...tried trashing prefs...no help.

Specs:
-PT 9.0.3
-OSX 10.6.8
-11 GB Ram
-PT Aggregate I/O using:
-Benchmark ADC16 Firewire interface
-MacPro digital optical out

Any help?

Thanks in advance!
And when you don't use aggregate IO I bet the problem goes away right? The likely solution is don't use aggregate IO. And Avid does not officially support what you are doing, but if you want folks here to try to debug this you'll need to tell us all about your aggregate options and clocking setup.

You are trying unsupported stuff -- have you asked Benchmark if they have aggregate IO working with Pro Tools or other DAWs?

And why for the blazes do you need to do this, the ADC16 has digital output up the kazoo, you want to go through all the extreme flakiness of aggregate IO to get another lousy TOSLINK/SPDIF ouput on the Mac? huh? You should not need the Mac digital output -- look up the stuff on using a DAW and digital output routing in your ADC-16 manual.

If you don't want the ADC-16 I'll make you an offer

Darryl
Old 11-03-2012, 08:50 PM

Hey Darryl,

Thanks for the reply.

I tried switching the Playback Engine to 'Built-In Digital Output' and got the same error.

Is it really true that Avid doesn't support the aggregate device that was automatically set up when I installed PT9? I mean, it's called "Pro Tools Aggregate I/O"!!

This is pretty ridiculous though. It's choking on such a light-weight task!?! I can play more tracks w/ lower latency in GarageBand!!
Old 11-03-2012, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hear-this View Post
Hey Darryl,

Thanks for the reply.

I tried switching the Playback Engine to 'Built-In Digital Output' and got the same error.

Is it really true that Avid doesn't support the aggregate device that was automatically set up when I installed PT9? I mean, it's called "Pro Tools Aggregate I/O"!!

This is pretty ridiculous though. It's choking on such a light-weight task!?! I can play more tracks w/ lower latency in GarageBand!!
And the number one reason people have problems with Pro Tools is user error, so slow down take a breath and sort out what you are likely doing wrong.

RTFM time. The aggregate device is intended to play built in output (analog) with other interfaces that support aggregation, that is all. And how well things do or do not work depends critically on the other device's device driver. How well it works with the digital output and an ADC-16 who knows... but again why do you want to do this if you have an ADC-16 with digital outputs up the kazoo... And more importantly aggregate is just flaky with lots of other DAWs as well, and it has lots of opportuntiy for clocking problems, it should always be one of the first things to suspect.

Make sure to use a new empty session for tests..and just drag an mp3 or similar audio file onto a new stereo audio track and try to play it.

What happens when you try the ADC-16 as the playback engine? (and remove it from the aggregate audio device first so nothing else can ever try using it).

What happens when you use the built in audio (not optical out) as the playback engine?

Go carefully read the "Help us Help You - READ THIS Before Posting!" link above.

What standard Pro Tools trouble shooting steps have you done? Please list exactly what you have tried.

What of the systems optimizations listed under that page have you done for your system? Please list exactly what you have done.

What are all the settings in the playback engine dialog you are using?

The PT session rate is 48kHz but what is the ADC-16 clock rate and source set to? (whatdto the front panel LEDs actually show).

The offer on the ADC-16 still stands...

Darryl
Old 11-04-2012, 07:14 AM

Hi Darryl,

Thanks for trying to help.

I read the F manual, and it didn't give any indications that the PT Aggregate should be avoided. And as I mentioned, I tried non-aggregate engines as well, but the problem didn't change at all.

The problem in question is that, when the H/W buffer is set below 128 samples, I get the 6101 error. When it's above 128, it's usually fine (no clock errors, etc).

Here are the troubleshooting steps I've taken:
  • ADC16 as clock master or slave
  • verified both ADC16 and PT9 are at the same sample rate, etc)
  • Various Playback Engine devices
  • -- PT Aggregate
  • -- ADC16 (w/ ADC16 removed from PT Aggregate Device)
  • -- Built-In digital output
  • -- Built-In (analog) output
  • All of the "Required Optimizations" listed here: http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...oftware_Update
  • Trashing Pref files

Here is a screen shot of my Playback Engine settings: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/422157/Scre...35.19%20AM.png

I'm testing this with a new session with only one stereo 48/24 track in the session.

Specs of my system:

-PT 9.0.3
-OSX 10.6.8
-11 GB Ram

Let me re-state that the only issue I'm having is that, when the H/W buffer is set to below 128 samples, I get the 6101 error.

So, my question is really this: considering the specs of my system, how many tracks should I expect to be able to record and/or playback at 32 or 64 samples? At what point am I just running into a system limitation rather then a system conflict or 'user error'? It seems that my system should be able to handle playback of one stereo 48/24 file with no plug-ins at 32 samples, right? And if not, where is the limitation...the processor? Ram?