Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-25-2011, 07:50 AM

Default Why Can't Pro Tools handle MIDI?

All other software sees my MIDI input fine. Not Pro Tools. Not on MIDI tracks or instrument tracks.

It shows as up and enabled in Audio MIDI setup. Both the MBox 2 and the Unitor work fine in Logic and everything else.

All devices are turned on in Setup/MIDI/Input Devices. Tracks record enabled, etc.

Sometimes you boot Pro Tools and it sees MIDI input, sometimes it doesn't.

This is beyond lame. MIDI's been around for 30 years. Pro Tools STILL can't handle it reliably.

So unbelievably frustrating.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:56 AM

Default Re: Why Can't Pro Tools handle MIDI?

You must have purchased the non midi version of pro tools, cause it works fine in my version:)
however if you need help you will need to provide more info. Start with the help us help you thread at the top of this page.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD2 View Post
You must have purchased the non midi version of pro tools, cause it works fine in my version:)
however if you need help you will need to provide more info. Start with the help us help you thread at the top of this page.
Lol - no I seem to have purchased, the "sometimes PT will allow MIDI input, sometimes it won't version."

I've of course searched the issue, and found lots of people with the same problem, and found no post so far where anyone offered a solution that worked.

As per the post you reference,

• Computer model and processor speed
  • Mac Pro, 3.33GHz 12-core
  • OS version
  • Digidesign or M-Audio hardware model
  • MBox2 and Apogee X-series
  • Pro Tools version
  • Amount of RAM installed
  • 10GB
  • A complete and precise description of any attached peripherals (hard drives, video devices, other firewire or USB devices that may be attached, etc). We need to know to which port on the computer they're connected to, what type of cables you're using (is it a FW800-FW400 adapter cable? How long is it? Are you using an extender or repeater?) and, if you've tried replacing cables, what the differences were between the original and the replacement.
  • Unitor MIDI interface - USB Cable to USB port, approx 1m long, MBox2 MIDI interface - USB Cable to USB port, approx 1m long, Mouse to USB powered hub, Keyboard to USB powered hub, Display DVI-Dual link, cable approx 5 ft long., iLok - USB port, no cable.
  • Number and type (firewire, SATA, SCSI, etc) of drives installed, how they're formatted and which one(s) you're using for recording and playback.
  • 4 SATA 3Gb/sec internal 1TB drives, Western Digital
  • A concise list of the troubleshooting you've already tried - please be as specific as possible! The first thing we'll ask is 'Have you done everything in the Setup and General Troubleshooting thread?', so we'll want to know that you've done ALL of it and, if you've not done everything, we need to know what you have or have not done, as this can have a huge impact on further troubleshooting.
  • Verified MIDI input is seen by all applications except Pro Tools. Tried multiple MIDI interfaces, including MIDISports (2 different ones) and the 2 interfaces above. Restart PT. Reboot. Verified Audio MIDI setup is able to see each of the MIDI interfaces. Verified the interface is enabled in Setup/MIDI/Input Devices. Verified the input to the MIDI track was set to "all". Cursed Digidesign for being unable to work reliably with a 30 year old technology that every other app apparently has no trouble with.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:38 AM

check to see if midi thru is checked under the options menu
Old 01-25-2011, 09:43 AM

Which version of PT? The first version of 9.0.1 is missing a MIDI driver. The installer released today has this corrected.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 01-25-2011, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunburst79 View Post
Which version of PT? The first version of 9.0.1 is missing a MIDI driver. The installer released today has this corrected.
It's the original. 9.0. It wasn't showing any updates. Perhaps this installer will help. I'll try it asap.

Thanks!
Old 01-26-2011, 05:24 PM

turn on the Unitor 8 before than anything else.
Then you turn on the audio interface, computer, and so on

If I don't do in that way PT doesn't see every 16 channel of my two unitors