Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2009, 09:50 AM

Default Midi Learn Function

This is one of the coolest new features for controlling Instrument plugins.

Why can't it work with regular plugins?
Old 03-07-2009, 11:48 PM

Default Re: Midi Learn Function

Good question Mr Gioia, especially regarding PTCC AIR FX Plug-Ins personally. From a non-technical observation and concerned with only PTCC AIR FX Plug-Ins, they'd need to adhere to the Muscial Instrument Digital Interface Specification in the first instance (MIDI Command Sets - Channel Voice and System messages), obviously. Support the capacity for MIDI In and Output (Receiver and Transmitter) implying also suitable Pro Tools track.

I don't know, what's wrong with TDM, why code in RTAS, Kenny? Anyways...

Regards.

filosofem
Old 03-08-2009, 03:41 AM

I would also love to be able to have 1 fader (FaderPort, etc) and be able to have Protools "learn" what I want to control with a simple right-click. Migrating (right-clicking) to another parameter could automatically replace the previous whether it be midi, fader volume, or plugin parameter.

Click, automate, click, automate, click, automate...
Old 03-08-2009, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filosofem View Post
Good question Mr Gioia, especially regarding PTCC AIR FX Plug-Ins personally. From a non-technical observation and concerned with only PTCC AIR FX Plug-Ins, they'd need to adhere to the Muscial Instrument Digital Interface Specification in the first instance (MIDI Command Sets - Channel Voice and System messages), obviously. Support the capacity for MIDI In and Output (Receiver and Transmitter) implying also suitable Pro Tools track.

I don't know, what's wrong with TDM, why code in RTAS, Kenny? Anyways...

Regards.

filosofem
I thought of that. It doesn't need a midi track. It can simply use the "default midi thru" preference to choose targeted plugin.

You wouldn't be able to record the midi changes but you could use standard automation for that. The instrument plugins allow either.
Old 03-08-2009, 02:46 PM

Hi Kenny,
Logic Pro has something like this for a few years. It's called "quick automation access" and works really good for me (on the Logic machine).
But: In Logic I'm sometimes concerned about the accuracy of the automation. For many parameters MIDI resolution is enough. But there are certain situations where I prefer the much better accuracy of the Pro Tools automation (e.g. automating a low pass filter for a group of tracks or the whole mix).
I'm using the Command|8 for Pro Tools automation but when it comes to very tight decisions (like in the example) I have to edit the parameter in the automation playlist.
To me it seems like Pro Tools handles MIDI controllers different from the built-in automation. Is there a way to combine both ways to satisfy the user as much as possible (combine quick access and accuracy)? I don't know...

Kind regards

Mark
Old 03-08-2009, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Gioia View Post
You wouldn't be able to record the midi changes but you could use standard automation for that. The instrument plugins allow either.
Again this is just my opinion, VI's that choose too adhere to the MIDI spec., conform to Controller Data for universality. Low-end/consumer level Control Surfaces exclusively don't transmit Controller Data as far as I'm aware but High-end Control Surfaces as you'd be more aware might. Point is what Controller Data would PTCC AIR FX Plug-Ins require. Not many, maybe Sound Control 70-79 given the rotary controls on a typical MIDI Controller. In other words, given that you had a supported Control Surface would you still require MIDI Learn from PTCC AIR FX Plug-Ins?

By the way, MIDI Learn is a very quick way to change parameter assignments undoubtedly and with Pro Tools 8 and above, supposedly the M-Audio Axiom Pro HyperControl Control Surface parameter reassignment is like a click away, literally. To mirror MIDI Learn if you will but it doesn't.

filosofem