Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2009, 08:10 AM

Default Re: multiple Problems with PT HD1 Mac

[
Quote:
QUOTE=black dirt;1363704]hi

first off, yes, i am currently running os x off the digi approved combo update... at this point i'm eating digi approved meals and passing digi approved waste and cursing only digi approved languages! pardon me wife, care to have some sex? only in digi approved positions!
Good. That was going to be my next angle of attack but you've already covered it. By the way, if you're using PT8, you'll find you've got a lot more flexibility re: digi approved positions. Rumor has it the Digi coders hid a "Kama Sutra" Easter egg somewhere in either the Insert selector or Groove Template windows.

Quote:
so i continued to tackle this before i read any replies to my last post - i didn't even need to go that far back - simply taking LM RTAS out of the equation worked (again) - i mixed a session with HD until i ran out of DSP (since i am running off the core card) and then opened another one and did the same, and so on - 4 hours, no errors, all the meters in system usage where they should be...
Great!!

Quote:
so tomorrow i will head over to the local shop, buy an accel card and a full LM HD version and i'll just have to re-setup all my active sessions that have LM RTAS - then i think just for closure, i will send the LM dsp back to focusrite to see if there is anything wrong on that end - just so i know...

in hindsight, the trouble i've gone thru and the time i've lost over last week and half - next time i'm just gonna get rid of the offending item, even if it means "re-doing" work and/or going a bit into debt...
I think we've all been here...MANY times. Not to get gooey, but the important thing is dealing with it like you have...Plowing through the frustration, putting aside psychological enslavement to certain ways of working or certain pieces of gear that are just options (or putting aside the attachment to the comfort we have with working in a certain way with certain tools), making some decisions, and fixing the problem.

Quote:
one last question - noticed this just now... in all the digidesign database folders, i'm seeing a unicode folder... is that normal... i know they are in the library but in every folder across all the drives? i recently trashed prefs and databases (right before i started the switch from LM RTAS to LM HD)
Yes. This is normal.
Old 03-07-2009, 08:43 PM

Default Re: multiple Problems with PT HD1 Mac

well i thought i had it beat

i went ahead and bought an accel card and bought LM HD and bought an internal drive and got LM RTAS out of the way and thought i was ready to move on

instead LM HD reloads with settings reset to zero, the gui disappears and now my protools just crashes and goes bye bye

which is what i'm doing

i've spent the last 4 years building up my studio on my own, in the country, with no support, no background, no local scene

this year i finally am booking one and half months in advance

i've canceled all my sessions for this month and early april - until i can figure out whether to go into major debt to upgrade to a stable stand alone hard disc setup or wrap up all open projects and move on to something else, my studio is finished - i'll never rely on a setup like protools again... too many variables - mebbe if i was coming at it from a computer background, but i'm coming at it from a musician background - like the guy at techserve in nyc said, "unless you've got a full time tech guy on site, there is no workflow with a computer based daw set up"

it's my fault for depending so much on one tool (in this case, LM's compressors and eqs) - it's basically the only plug i use except for the massey stuff - all my fx are done analog - so every mix i've done over the last year and half is totally dependent on LM

if i thought that my setup was stable enough, i would switch over to another plug and remix all open sessions - but at this point i don't believe the plug is the problem and frankly, i'm broke and can't afford financially or emotionally to continue with pro tools

11 days in a row troubleshooting, over $3000 spent upgrading, and no success

i wanted to thank everyone who chimed in to try and help -
i really appreciate it

i guess digidesign had better things to do the last week and a half then check in here...