Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018

Old 10-23-2018, 08:57 AM

Default Re: Renewal Ruminations--Opinions Welcome

Melodyne aria integration. Please add things that save time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Oh yeah
Old 10-23-2018, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCBigler View Post
Oh you wacky mods...
Oh please... let me entertain you
Old 10-23-2018, 10:52 AM

I really appreciate all the replies. Looks like I'll do one more year, in the hope that Avid catches up at least with High Sierra. Agreed about Melodyne, but I have to admit I usually don't even bother committing my pitch tweaks and just leave them there on the timeline.

One thing I'd like to try, however--using parts I already have I want to put together the least expensive yet functional Atmos mix setup possible and then publish it--and I'll need the latest Ultimate updates for that.

Peter
Gypsy: PT Ultimate 2019.5, 12-core Mac Pro 3.46Ghz 64GB OS 10.14.5, HD Native, HD OMNI, 2 Artist Mix, EUCON 18.3, Presonus 32R, Studio One 4.5.1, Quad Eight preamps, Neve 3201 EQs, 2 LA-4s, Malone Design Works desk

Laptop: 10.13.6 MacBook Pro 2.8 Core i7, 16G, PT 19.5 Live 9

www.remotewest.com
@RemoteWest
Old 10-23-2018, 11:19 AM

Lets face it... 400 every year is too much...really too much...

The truth is, that we got some cool new features to enhance the workflow and of course Dolby Athmos...but thats all...
Lets look at Steinberg... Cubase and Nuendo always get new workflow enhancements for a very moderate upgrade price...Only big features are covered in greater upgade prices. Now lets look at Logic Pro X... OK to use it you need an apple computer, but think about it.Protools Ultimate alone is 2499. For this price you get a descent MBPro. So Logic is cheap and, wow...
it gets workflow enhancements with every update for free. More, we got new plugins like Chromaverb and new Emus of classic hardware for free AND at last we have now ARA2 FREE of charge. Working with Melodyne in Logic is now a Dream.... So back to Protools Ultimate... We pay 400 every year for WHAT exactly?... The last update was bug fix only and for gods sake still no support for 10.13.6 High Sierra... And Mojave, maybe in some years... Avid should face the reality... The promise to have the possibility to bring new features in short times with the new abo system failed. Maybe they found out, that new features must be tested and its not that easy to implement them... I wish, Avid should go back to the normal Upgrade System. New features in an Upgrade and Bugfix Updates for free... My question, what is Avid doing with all the money from the anual plans anyway...

400 is too much... sry I will pay it for all my licences, cause i need Protools and i want to support Avid... But is it really worth... NO definitely No
Old 10-23-2018, 01:46 PM

I'm in a similar place but upped another year taking advantage of a sale a few months ago on the annual.

Since I have a fairly old mac I plan to keep going until I replace it and have a solid system. Maybe another two years.

C
PT 2021.10 HDX 16x24 -Mac Pro 12 Cores 48 GB RAM OS 10.13.6 - API 16 channel - AMS Neve 16 channel, AMS-Neve-SSL -Pres/Processing, Bock Audio, BLUE Bottle, Neumann, Josephson -Mics, Bogner, Kemper- Guitar, Chandler Zener-Curve Bender Outboard/Master. UAudio, Waves, Plugin Alliance etc.
Old 10-23-2018, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackerLe View Post
Lets face it... 400 every year is too much...really too much...
1,10 a day too much? I hope you have food on your table...
Old 10-23-2018, 02:37 PM

Yes 1,10 per day is too much, if i compare it to Steinberg or Apple, which bring such little workflow features for free. And you think 1,10 every day for little features, which other daws have for years, is a good deal... then think again...
Old 10-23-2018, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Yes 1,10 per day is too much, if i compare it to Steinberg or Apple
Compare to daily beer and which you need more
Old 10-23-2018, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Yes 1,10 per day is too much, if i compare it to Steinberg or Apple, which bring such little workflow features for free. And you think 1,10 every day for little features, which other daws have for years, is a good deal... then think again...
Steinberg/Yamaha and Nuendo/Cubase you can make a case for. But has Apple actually done anything with Logic in years?

Plus, Logic doesn't work on Windows, so to heck with them.

If you think $400 per year is bad, you should look at what it costs to SUBSCRIBE to AutoCAD every year, almost $1,300, per year, every year. Vectorworks is almost $3,000 to buy and upgrades cost nearly as much as buying the software. I don't even want to think about what the annual subscriptions costs are for the collaboration tools like Revit are.

Professional software tools cost professional dollars.

Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / Protools Ultimate 2023.6 / HD|Native-TB
2018 MacBook Pro: six-core i9, 32GB, 1TB, Monterey / Protools Studio 2023.6, / DVS / DAR, L-ISA Studio

Home/mobile: Focusrite Red 8Pre+HD32R / Clarett 4Pre
Road/hotel: Roland OctaCaputre / Apogee One

Last edited by JCBigler; 10-23-2018 at 07:16 PM.
Old 10-23-2018, 07:53 PM

I don’t like Logic, but from what I’ve seen from following the Logic updates, I’d say they’re at least on par with PT regarding adding features over the past couple of years. I’d actually say they’ve added more. Wether they’re features you want or need isn’t the point.

And in regards to AutoCad - yep, it’s pricey, but I guess it’s what the market can bear. My buddy uses AutoCad daily, but earns about $150k per year. I can assure you, I earn nowhere near that making my living with Pro Tools. HeHe...

Food for thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk