Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 03-05-2004, 04:43 PM

Default Editing interviews for radio broadcast

Where can I find tutorials on using Pro tools to edit radio interviews for radio broadcast?
Old 03-07-2004, 02:07 AM

Default Re: Editing interviews for radio broadcast

Radio interviews, are audio, just like music, or anything else you could record and as a result edit, in pro tools.

Lots of great basic tips in the user guide, or Surf around Here

Good Luck

- MacPro 6,1 Intel Xeon E5 2.7 GHz 12-Core 128 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
- HDX II Sonnet xMacPro Server
- 16x16 HD i/o x 6
- PT 2018.10
- OS X 10.14.4
- ProTools Dock / PT Control
Old 03-08-2004, 09:22 AM

Hi:
Your link did NOT help me! I am looking for basic info such as how to play a clip from a specific point in the time line, how to scrub effectively through the timeline etc. I have used the speaker icon to do this, but it is awkward and whenever I want to play a clip from an edit point, Pro Tools keeps going back to the beginning of the whole clip. When I scrub with the speaker there seems no way of marking an IN point or an OUT point. It is questions such as these that I am looking for answer to!

greytail
Old 03-08-2004, 09:31 AM

Try reading the (free downloadable PDF) manual.
Old 03-08-2004, 04:05 PM

Yes, I tried read the manual. It doesn't answer my basic questions and there is very little on the web that I can find on this.
Old 03-08-2004, 04:15 PM

I'm talking about these manuals,. If you can't find basic information in those, you need a new career my friend.

Read about the trimmertool for starters.
Old 03-08-2004, 08:15 PM

Everyone uses PT just a little differently. There is a steep learning curve.
But it all starts here
Old 03-08-2004, 08:19 PM

Here are some good resources.
But you will still need to read.

Here's a place you won't need to read.
Old 03-08-2004, 11:09 PM

Quote:
I am looking for basic info such as how to play a clip from a specific point in the time line, how to scrub effectively through the timeline etc. I have used the speaker icon to do this, but it is awkward and whenever I want to play a clip from an edit point, Pro Tools keeps going back to the beginning of the whole clip. When I scrub with the speaker there seems no way of marking an IN point or an OUT point. It is questions such as these that I am looking for answer to!

http://www.digidesign.com/support/do...ence_Guide.pdf
Old 03-09-2004, 10:48 AM

Hello greytail, please permit me to take a stab at some of your concerns. I edit 30's & 60's all day & I'm assuming you're editing sessions of program length, so some of this may not apply to you. I don't know what version you are using, I've used 3, 4 & 6, so I have no experience with v5.x. Remember that there is no one 'best' way to do something in PT, only the one that works 'best' for you.

I work exclusively from templates. So figure out how you want your session to look, what zoom levels you need, track names, what music & sfx you need loaded in what tracks at what volume levels, what plug ins & their settings, that sort of thing. Save and create a 'stationary pad'(by clicking on the session icon in the finder and selecting 'get info'-command I. Then every day/week/time you go to record your program you won't need to build your session.

Quote:
I am looking for basic info such as how to play a clip from a specific point in the time line,
Use markers for this,(keypad # enter to define, Keypad # decimal point to recall)

Quote:
how to scrub effectively through the timeline etc. I have used the speaker icon to do this, but it is awkward
Try using the selector tool, while holding down control+option, the selector turns into the scrubber then changes back to the selector when you let go of control+option. You probably also know that the trim tool has scrub options(v.6).

Quote:
and whenever I want to play a clip from an edit point, Pro Tools keeps going back to the beginning of the whole clip.
The tab key moves right to each edit. Option tab goes left. In v.6, turn off the tab to transients button.

Quote:
When I scrub with the speaker there seems no way of marking an IN point or an OUT point.
Use the selector tool as described above, stop at your in point, make a marker, repeat this for your out point. Remember when scrubbing, the zoom level affects the resolution of your scrub.

Your terminology leads me to belive that you may have some experience with SAW or some other such editor. PT does not require you to mark in & out points to make an edit. Just highlight a region with the selector tool and hit backspace & you've made your edit. If you want to save that edited region for later then choose capture region or separate region from the edit menu before deleting.

Read the docs listed by the other posters & have fun with PT!