Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-2016, 05:17 PM

Default Upgrading to PT12 from 10, worried about plugs/sessions

I've searched the community for answers, but haven't found any. Please excuse this post if it is addressed somewhere else.

I have an EP I have been working on for a few years. I am in the mixing phase now but it is comprised of dozens of audio tracks and MIDI tracks per song, with complicated automation and many plug ins. I bought my upgrade from PT10 to 12 in December, but I am afraid to upgrade until this EP is finished, but I am also anxious to upgrade and don't want to rush the mix.

I am wondering if my sessions will be fine in PT12. Plug ins are mostly standard Avid RTAS, like Vacuum and etc, but I am also using EZ Drummer, SSL 4000 Waves collection and many others. I assume that as long as all my plugs can be upgraded to AAX then I should be fine running these same sessions in 12. Right?

Also, I read somewhere that you can run PT10 somehow inside PT12, like a shell or something to avoid these kind of issues? Any ideas? When I talked to Avid online they said I wont have any problems, but I really can not jeopardize the sessions.

Is there any kind of compatibility program I can run on sessions to let me know?

Thanks for any help.
JWW
Old 03-21-2016, 05:41 PM

Default Re: Upgrading to PT12 from 10, worried about plugs/sessions

Quote:
I am wondering if my sessions will be fine in PT12. Plug ins are mostly standard Avid RTAS, like Vacuum and etc, but I am also using EZ Drummer, SSL 4000 Waves collection and many others. I assume that as long as all my plugs can be upgraded to AAX then I should be fine running these same sessions in 12. Right?
Correct, as long as you have the latest AAX version of those plug-ins you should be fine.

Many here on the DUC will advise against upgrading in the middle of a project. But in general, if upgrading to 12, you should see no major issues.

That comes with a caveat. If you're on Mac, you will really need to consider whether the upgrade is worth it. Think about the OS you are running, because Pro Tools 10 is not qualified on anything higher than 10.8.5.

This will help:
http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...tibility-Chart

Also this:
http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...m-Requirements

Are you on Mac or Windows?
What are your system specs?

FWIW, your sessions will open up just fine, it's really your system you should be looking at. If you are on Mac, you can try installing the OS X version you want on a separate "test" hard drive drive along with Pro Tools 12 (btw, if you don't have 12, I believe upgrading to 12 gives you PT 10,11 and 12 as a bundled license)
Old 03-21-2016, 05:57 PM

Default Re: Upgrading to PT12 from 10, worried about plugs/sessions

Thanks. I'm also running a command 8. I think that should work as well.