Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-2008, 05:25 AM

Default Graphics controller compatibility query (and Vista question)

Hi,

I'd appreciated a quick bit of advice if anyone can help.

I'm looking to get an MBox 2 Mini running Pro Tools 7.4 (I have Vista) for my laptop. I've done all the compatibility checks, and everything seems to be fine, except one thing.

Instead of having a dedicated graphics controller, my laptop apparently has a "Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Integrated Chipset."

The support page specifically states that computers must have a separate graphics controller, not an integrated one, otherwise Pro Tools might not work properly, but I was wondering - do you think that Pro Tools would work ok with my graphics controller?

Just in case I've mislooked any of the other compatibility information, here is a list of what my laptop has:

Windows Vista Home Premium
Intel (R) Core2Duo CPU T7100 @ 1.80 GHz
2038MB RAM
32-bit operating system
Intel(R) 82801 HEM/HMB SATA AHCI controller
Intel(R)ICH8M Ultra ATA Storage Controllers - 2850
Interl(R) 82801 PCI Bridge - 2448
Chipset - Intel GM965

Oh, and my computer is a Fujitsu Siemens Amilo Pi2515

If anyone could check over these things and let me know if they think I'd be able to run Pro Tools, that'd be much appreciated

Sarah.

P.S. Just reading around, I noticed that some people have mentioned Pro Tools not working all that well with Vista. Could you elaborate? I plan to use it mainly for editing, only recording occasionally.
Old 03-05-2008, 06:05 AM

Default Re: Graphics controller compatibility query (and Vista question)

Another problem - I don't think my laptop has firewire *shoots self*

If I need to do the Sandra thing to help you guys to help me, let me know.

Til then, I'll be sulking about possibly not being able to run Pro Tools!
Old 03-05-2008, 07:04 AM

Just to update you all (if anyone ever reads this ), I just rang up DigiDesign to get some advice.

The man told me that, having a laptop, an integrated graphics card is the only option anyway, as there won't be a card slot, and so I'll be fine with my integrated graphics.

Also, he said that not having firewire can be an issue as it could affect my recordings, and I'd want to use a firewire external hardrive, but he did say that if I'm primarily editing, not having firewire shouldn't be a problem.

I just wondered if anyone could back up this information (particularly about the graphics controller) as it seems to contradict everything I'd read on the subject so far. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thank you,

Sarah
Old 03-05-2008, 08:00 AM

That's true about the graphics card. When people here are talking about 'integrated graphics chips' they mean ones that are built into the motherboard of desktop systems. Laptops don't have an expansion port (PCI, PCI-e or AGP) where you would put a graphics card. Not all laptops are equal, but they all have some sort of onboard graphics processing. You'll be fine.

Regarding firewire...some people have reported being able to use USB drives with some luck, though they are NOT supported. I personally wouldn't rely on it - even just for editing. Others may not share that opinion and maybe it works fine. Just don't post here if you have a problem with it. Everyone will tell why .

You can add firewire ports if your laptop has PC card (PCMCIA) slots - which most do. There have been some threads here about compatible firewire expansion cards for laptops, but I never paid much attention to them, not needing one myself. Search the DUC for 'PCMCIA Firewire' within the last few months.

Hope that helps!

Tom
other people's music:
www.headphonomenon.com
Old 03-05-2008, 08:04 AM

Oh that's brilliant, thank you! I got this laptop in October with a view to eventually getting Pro Tools, so I tried to get one that'd be compatible...so finding a few problems now was annoying!

I'll look into the firewire thing, and also talk to my friend who runs Pro Tools on quite an old laptop and uses a USB external hard drive, to see if he's had any problems.

Thank you!