Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 09-23-2005, 01:09 PM

Default Mic for Radio Broadcast and an Audio Book?

Hello All
I am going to be helping a friend out with some work he has and I need to record a few chapters of an Audio Book for him. Since I am going to make a little change, I figure I could use it to buy some equipment.

Is there a particular type/style/brand/model of microphone I should use for the vocals? I figure it is something that I can also use for my buddies radio show. Or should I use a seperate mic entirely for that also?

Feel free to cehck out the radio show at www.costasworld.com

On a side note: If any of you are in the Los Angeles area, I will be headlining at the Temple Bar on September 28. Yes I know it is a Wednesday, but the show is defintely worth it. You can check some of the songs out at www.kustoo.com.

Most importantly, what mic should I get?
Old 09-23-2005, 05:48 PM

Default Re: Mic for Radio Broadcast and an Audio Book?

I would suggest a large diaphram condenser for this task if you don't have one already. A lot of radio folks run their mics into heavy compression before it goes live also in which might be a good investment for you guys. goodluck
Old 09-23-2005, 05:50 PM

You're going to get a LOT of different advice on this, especially as you didn't state a budget.

That said, try a Rode NT1-A or NT1000. You may be able to use either for both projects.

On the dynamic side, which is traditionally what is used for broadcast, have a look at a Sennheiser MD421 or an Electrovoice RE20. Both have been/are workhorses for on-air work and would be fine for an audio book as well.

Cheers,
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Old 09-23-2005, 06:21 PM

Kustoo,
I must agree with "The Weed" ( who wouldn't ) on the RE-20 and the Sennheiser 421. I would also add the Sure SM7 in that picture.
On the LDC side, Neumann U87 is a most widely used broadcast voice mic.

good luck,

W7 pro 64_i7 3930K_16GB_ Nuendo 6.5.4-7.1.3 / PT 12.4 ------Mac Mini OSX Lion_PT 10.xx
Allen&Heath GS R-24M_ full rack of vintage analog boxes _UAD2_Nugen_iZotope_Melda_Waves_Plugin Alliance_DMG and more
2.0 and 5.1 monitoring
Old 09-23-2005, 06:38 PM

The good news is that either the RE20 or a good condenser will be great for the task at hand, and will be very useful in other applications as well.
The RE20 is a dandy bass cabinet and kick drum mike, and makes for an interesting vocal choice as well, depending on the singer. I've found it to be a good mike for certain male vocalists.
I think Robin Zander from Cheap Trick favored one, for what that's worth.

I guess if I had neither, and could only get one, I'd go with the condenser. I see more and more condensers being used for radio/TV broadcast and voiceover these days.

I do a bit of voiceover work, and use either my RE20 or my Neumann TLM103 through my UA 6176.
Both sound great, and the 6176 doesn't hurt.
Old 09-23-2005, 10:49 PM

Quote:
try a Rode NT1-A or NT1000. You may be able to use either for both projects.
why not a Rode Broadcaster, the name kinda tell you what it is intended for