Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2001, 02:59 PM

Default Re: Let\'s hear your latest stuff....right here

GP,

Thanks very much for the complement.

On my guitar sounds, I've been using a Digitech RP2000 processor, and I sometimes mike a couple of Fender amps(a DeVille w/4-10's, and a small jam amp). I also had my guitar built, and it's supposed to be a cross between a Strat and a Les Paul.

But, the RP2000 is editable, which helps me pinpoint what I want. I also use a POD sometimes in the 'Big' studio here.

Thanks again about the song, though. Can't wait to finish this new thing...

Roy
Old 11-17-2001, 08:47 AM

Roy,
Yes, I ve been using the POD latley on a project I'm doing the guitar trcks on....Ive had it for a year now but I finally came up with some good edits that these guys actually love. I've started using it on some of my own works(in progress [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] ), but at first didn't really like it much over mic'n amps.
If I come across any exceptional strats out there, I'll let ya know. [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Old 11-17-2001, 09:18 AM

GP,

Thanks, my friend... I noticed in your Profile thing that you're in Canada, so I envy you. I've been to Calgary, and skiied in the Northern Rockies of Banff. It's a beautiful place. Believe it or not, I've written jingles for every Province up there in the past. In which one do you live, if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks, Roy
Old 11-17-2001, 10:33 AM

Hello all

since this thread has changed page i ll put the link on my new song here aswell

I havent got proper monitors so i really want to know how it sounds
let me know what you think - doesnt have to be good - i can take any comments - thats how i ll learn [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

The song is called "in a shallow end"

Cheers!!DiVouMusic
Old 11-17-2001, 10:56 AM

Hi,
Listening as I type. It's well put together musically. Sonically, I'm not really hearing the bass very well, and the drum kit sounds really sort of 'flat'. The guitar/s sound pretty good to me. (Now I want yo to know that even though I might post something that sounds very different in a day or two, I really enjoyed my days seeing the original Black Sabbath live.)

The drum sound issue might just be the samples you're using if this is some MIDI based drum kit. If this is a live drummer, then the room and mic techniques aren't helping his sound at all. Fill me in on which it is...

The ending was a bit abrupt.

Enjoyed it.

Cheers,
Mark
Old 11-17-2001, 02:19 PM

Hi Mark
i believe your comments are about me (you havent got a name)

The thing is that i dont have proper monitos - i use multimedia pc speakers [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
and your comments are very usefull thnx

The guitars are from my POD 2.0 with RQ6 from waves
The drums are from kalava samples edited in SONAR with C1 compressor and the reverd that Sonar has
I took the bass sounds from my Ry20 drum machine

I can not understand what you mean by the term "flat" for the drum sound - maybe i know it but my english are not helping
Can you please rephrase it?
About the ending - i think it is abrupt too
but i was so anxious to post it and hear your comments so i didnt recorded properly musically

THnx again [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-17-2001, 04:51 PM

Vouts,
Sorry about forgetting to put your name in. My fault. And your english is fine. I think sometimes us 1 language speaking Americans use too many terms that sound fine to us, but folks from other parts of the globe don't get it. My fault, not yours.

I guess what I meant by flat was that they didn't sound like a big drum set getting hit hard by a drummer. They just sort of sounded thin, or maybe no depth. It's not the playing/programming of them, it's just the sound. I'm thinking about John Bonham or Keith Moon. Compare that with this and that's where I get 'flat'.

Don't take that personally. There's no reason to if you're using samples, because it isn't you! Maybe it's a question of how you get better samples more than the anything else. Or figuring out how to use them better. They were my biggest problem with the sound.

On the bass statement, I meant the bass guitar, not bass drum. Sorry. For me it just wasn't coming through like I'd expect. I'm having problems like that also. I have a feelign that you have too much duplication of frequencies in your bass and somethign else, and the bass just isn't standing out in my ears.

With all of that, I still enjoyed it!

Cheers,
Mark
Old 11-17-2001, 05:09 PM

2 of our songs with new vocals on them. They are the top two songs on the site. Check them out. The tope song came out good, but the second wasn't performed so well in my opinion. ASYLUMOGRAPHY
Old 11-17-2001, 06:57 PM

Mark
thnx a lot - i really appreciate your thoughts
I believe you are right about the drums but i ve always been using samples or drum machines since i dont have the luxury to record a real drummer - this is still my main
brainteazer - how to make samples, sound as real as possible - and to be honest this song has the best results i ever got - i ve a long way to go though [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

as fat as the bass in concerned, its true that its not defined very well in the mix but in my ears and in these cruppy monitors it sounded balanced and it worked nice with the guitars - but thats just me [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Thnx very much for your feedback
Old 11-18-2001, 10:51 AM

I've found that with drum machines and MIDI, if I compress it, it tends to sound small or flat. Try your samples without compression and see what you think.

www.disposableproductions.com