Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2011, 02:53 AM

Default Re: Occasional headphone out problems with Mbox 3 Pro

Hi,

The second MBox Pro (3G) AVID sent me was a little more reliable than the first one I had. Headphone sockets were better, but soft limit was pretty useless on hot condenser microphones. The main problem I have found, however, is with the handling of MIDI. Loads of missing and hanging notes on playback to external instruments. Yet, when I run the MIDI instruments via my Command|8, the problems go away. What a bummer! I have a new RMA code for another replacement. Will it be worth it? Third time lucky, perhaps!

Wes
Old 08-26-2011, 03:51 AM

Cool Re: Occasional headphone out problems with Mbox 3 Pro

hi guys just been reading all the disapointed posts on here and its not looking good. the headphone problem i hear people talking about is kinda messed up but the problem im having is im getting sound from amy a and b headphone outputs but only in mono. ive messed with everything to try and get stero but no luck. ive owned my pro for one week. is this a problem or am i missing something i havent pressed.
Old 08-26-2011, 08:14 AM

Unfortunately, this is what happens dude. I had the mono [bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep] for a while, and a heap load of other things. I'm on my second unit, but this once can't handle basic MIDI, let alone SysEx dumps. I've been promised a new one from AVID, but this is the last time, if the next one is faulty I'm going over to another brand - MOTU may be!
Old 08-29-2011, 07:01 AM

One simple question - are all mbox pro units affected of all this problems posted here?
Old 08-29-2011, 10:55 AM

I don't think they are, some people swear by them, and reckon they're the tops! Jury's still out for me. I'll report back after I've tested replacement number 3.
Old 08-30-2011, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumos View Post
I don't think they are, some people swear by them, and reckon they're the tops! Jury's still out for me. I'll report back after I've tested replacement number 3.
If there are problems, they exist from the beginning? Out of the box? Or will they come over time?
Old 08-30-2011, 09:29 AM

I think "intermittent" is the word I would use. They can be working one minute but not the next. The first unit I had was like that. The one I have now, the headphone sockets have only failed once, but I have identified a few problems with MIDI handling, which makes it unusable. Remember, this is a top notch bit of kit, and likely to be used in semi-pro and pro environments, so it has to be completely fit for that purpose, out of the box, and for the duration of the warranty. If you're in doubt, return to sender!!!
Old 08-30-2011, 11:10 AM

I opened a new thread for this, but wanted to add to this thread for the record. I know Avid is working on this:

Well, it looks like I ran into this as well. Everything was working perfectly yesterday, and tonight, I loaded my test session and nothing is coming through either headphone jack. Both jacks are set to receive Stereo Mix 1, and all other outputs work fine, 1/2 to my studio monitors, 3/4 to my headphone amp, and 5/6 (as a test) back into my mixer. The A and B headphone jacks are just silent. I can do everything I need to do, but this is a little annoying, and I know there have been numerous reports of this before. This MBox Pro was just purchased on August 3.

-dj
16GB RAM
OSX 10.14.5
PT 2019.10 (last one)
Waves Gold/RenMaxx v11
iZotope Ozone 8
Focusrite Clarett 8Pre

Nord Stage 3
Nord Lead A1
DSI Mopho X4
Old 08-30-2011, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJKeys View Post
I opened a new thread for this, but wanted to add to this thread for the record. I know Avid is working on this:

Well, it looks like I ran into this as well. Everything was working perfectly yesterday, and tonight, I loaded my test session and nothing is coming through either headphone jack. Both jacks are set to receive Stereo Mix 1, and all other outputs work fine, 1/2 to my studio monitors, 3/4 to my headphone amp, and 5/6 (as a test) back into my mixer. The A and B headphone jacks are just silent. I can do everything I need to do, but this is a little annoying, and I know there have been numerous reports of this before. This MBox Pro was just purchased on August 3.

-dj
What happens when you reboot your computer and mbox pro? Works everything fine (until next "crash")?
Old 08-30-2011, 12:42 PM

Yesterday, reboots did not help. I think this might have been happening before, and I just thought my routing setup needed attention. Now I know that my routing is fine. I will try again after work.
16GB RAM
OSX 10.14.5
PT 2019.10 (last one)
Waves Gold/RenMaxx v11
iZotope Ozone 8
Focusrite Clarett 8Pre

Nord Stage 3
Nord Lead A1
DSI Mopho X4