Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020

Old 12-04-2020, 12:43 PM

Default Selecting a clip in Edit window fails to select clip in Clip List

I am having a problem in a session in PT2020.11U, where selecting a clip in the edit window does not scroll to and select it's counterpart in the clip list.

This particular session was imported from an AAF and is audio for a feature film. The "clip list doesn't follow edit selection" problem does not manifest in other sessions on the same system. Preferences for "Clip list selection follows Edit selection" are properly selected.

Strangely a small subset of the clips in the edit window do select their counterpart in the clips list. I can't figure out what is unique about these particular clips.

Not having this workflow is going to make this project almost impossible. Has anyone solved this?
Old 12-04-2020, 07:55 PM

Default Re: Selecting a clip in Edit window fails to select clip in Clip List

Maybe some link information was lost when you imported from the AAF file.

When you right-click on one of those Audio Clips on the Track Lane and select the Matching Alternatives submenu from the Contextual Menu, do you see the corresponding Audio Clip listed with a checkmark (as it should)? If not, when you select a different Clip and then select the correct Clip, would that solve the problem for that Clip and re-establish the connection with the proper "follow" behavior?
http://DingDingMusic.com/
YouTube Channel Music Tech Explained https://YouTube.com/c/MusicTechExplained/
Old 12-04-2020, 09:09 PM

Thanks for the reply Edgar. If I restrict the matching criteria to clip start I am eventually returned several candidates for the matching clip, of which one is the correct clip that matches the original clip in the track lane. However this still doesn't select and make visible the clip in the clip list.

That's where the problem remains, because I still can't export the clip as an audio region which is my desired end goal. However I am using a work-around. I am copying the desired clips to a new track, which I then import into a new session and they are copied to the the new session's audio files folder, so I have all the sought after files in one place.

Last edited by oldskool; 12-04-2020 at 10:31 PM.
Old 09-24-2021, 07:41 PM

I’ve been having the same issue on occasion. One other work around is to consolidate the clips, doing this should generate a new clip listing to appear in the list and allow you to export it. If anyone know why this happens it would be great. I’ve never had it happen in my own work only sessions sent to me.
Old 09-25-2021, 09:54 AM

There is a setting in Preferences>Editing that selecting a Clip selects the Clip in the Clip List and vice-versa.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 09-26-2021, 08:28 AM

For me, the clips list has never scrolled to a selected clip(and I was not aware of a way to make that happen). I have always manually scrolled to find my highlighted clip. Also, when you say "clip", do you mean you selected an entire clip(with boundaries at each end), or you are selecting a portion of a larger clip? Just clicking to highlight any clip has always highlighted it on the clips list here

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 09-26-2021, 09:59 AM

Shot in the dark : RELINK the affected clips.
Win7 64bit Professional , i7 3930 Hexcore , 48GB Ram , SSD System + SSD PT Session/Audio + SSD Video (all Samsung 840 Evo) + Spinner 1TB Data , 2x Radeon HD 5450 \\ SD 633 Femto MKH8060 MKH8070 MKH30/MKH40 DPA4060
Old 09-26-2021, 10:43 AM

In the clip list, is "show auto-created" selected ?

As soon as the original file from the AAF is shortened/lengthend by a minimal amount, it could be auto-created.
Win7 64bit Professional , i7 3930 Hexcore , 48GB Ram , SSD System + SSD PT Session/Audio + SSD Video (all Samsung 840 Evo) + Spinner 1TB Data , 2x Radeon HD 5450 \\ SD 633 Femto MKH8060 MKH8070 MKH30/MKH40 DPA4060

Last edited by joachim; 09-26-2021 at 11:43 AM.
Old 09-28-2021, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldskool View Post
I am having a problem in a session in PT2020.11U, where selecting a clip in the edit window does not scroll to and select it's counterpart in the clip list.

This particular session was imported from an AAF and is audio for a feature film. The "clip list doesn't follow edit selection" problem does not manifest in other sessions on the same system. Preferences for "Clip list selection follows Edit selection" are properly selected.

Strangely a small subset of the clips in the edit window do select their counterpart in the clips list. I can't figure out what is unique about these particular clips.

Not having this workflow is going to make this project almost impossible. Has anyone solved this?
There is a chance you are selecting a single leg from a multichannel clip. Like production sound or left/right of a stereo file. In this case the clip will not highlight in the bin. You can expand all files by alt+clicking the triangle in the bin clips. Also make sure 'show auto created' is enabled.